France and a New Mystery

"It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."

[Refictionalized 20 Dec 2012]

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 pm

I count ten guests. Wife, Jean and her husband, old couple, three suspects, college friend and the writer.

EDIT: Dinner time, back in a bit.
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

The wife was excluded. She's not a guest, after all.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
User avatar
IslaKariese
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I count ten guests. Wife, Jean and her husband, old couple, three suspects, college friend and the writer.


Unfortunately, there are only nine guests. The wife does not count, as his exact phrasing was "ten people, as well as the wife". This would imply that the wife is not among that number. (Though English is weird enough that you could get away with counting the wife) If the wife was counted, it is very poor phrasing. No response yet, but I'll keep looking for a bit.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Victin on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Couldn't it be more than one person? A group conspirating angainst him?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Victin wrote:Couldn't it be more than one person? A group conspirating angainst him?


Already brought that up. I'm attempting to construct various possible groups and the parts each member plays as we speak.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Jean could have been asocial because he was worried about what he'd done. Maybe he helped the wife?
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Is it bad that I'm looking at this information and, instead of thinking "What makes the most sense?", I'm instead thinking "What makes the best story?"
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Flitterbie wrote:Is it bad that I'm looking at this information and, instead of thinking "What makes the most sense?", I'm instead thinking "What makes the best story?"


Not at all. That's what TV Tropes does to you.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm starting to think it was the wife, possibly with help from another guest. Or the benefactor did it and is manipulating Poirot. Depends on who the last guest turns out to be.
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Is it bad that I'm looking at this information and, instead of thinking "What makes the most sense?", I'm instead thinking "What makes the best story?"


Not at all. That's what TV Tropes does to you.


But I mean, more than that. If the fourth wall is collapsing, wouldn't it make sense that the logic of stories would be leaking into reality, in addition to characters? So instead of using logic, maybe we should be using the Rule of Drama/Cool/Whatever.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Flitterbie wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Is it bad that I'm looking at this information and, instead of thinking "What makes the most sense?", I'm instead thinking "What makes the best story?"


Not at all. That's what TV Tropes does to you.


But I mean, more than that. If the fourth wall is collapsing, wouldn't it make sense that the logic of stories would be leaking into reality, in addition to characters? So instead of using logic, maybe we should be using the Rule of Drama/Cool/Whatever.


Waaaaaaaay ahead of you.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:
But I mean, more than that. If the fourth wall is collapsing, wouldn't it make sense that the logic of stories would be leaking into reality, in addition to characters? So instead of using logic, maybe we should be using the Rule of Drama/Cool/Whatever.


Waaaaaaaay ahead of you.


Oh thank God I'm not the only one going crazy.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm

So, if we're actually looking at solving this, maybe we should have a What We Know for this thread?
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Flitterbie wrote:So, if we're actually looking at solving this, maybe we should have a What We Know for this thread?


Have now edited the OP to include all info up to this point. Now, however, I'm afraid I must take my leave. Good luck guys!
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Just going to point out here, shallow wounds may not mean someone who's weak. While deep would rule out anyone who's weak, shallow wounds could mean a strong person who's hiding their strength. Just a thought.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Flitterbie wrote:Just going to point out here, shallow wounds may not mean someone who's weak. While deep would rule out anyone who's weak, shallow wounds could mean a strong person who's hiding their strength. Just a thought.

I just love how that eliminates absolutely nobody. *noises of frustration*
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
User avatar
IslaKariese
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:03 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Just going to point out here, shallow wounds may not mean someone who's weak. While deep would rule out anyone who's weak, shallow wounds could mean a strong person who's hiding their strength. Just a thought.

I just love how that eliminates absolutely nobody. *noises of frustration*


Nothing we have is absolute except the time of death. I just said it increases the likelihood of a weaker person doing it. If you think about things in terms of "Yes" and "No" you won't get very far. It's all percentages and probability.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Nothing we have is absolute except the time of death. I just said it increases the likelihood of a weaker person doing it. If you think about things in terms of "Yes" and "No" you won't get very far. It's all percentages and probability.

Well, I'm no detective. I just barely managed to spot the guest total discrepancy, if it means anything in the long run. I don't wanna just sit back while others work out the crime, even if I'm pants at it.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
User avatar
IslaKariese
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:10 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Just going to point out here, shallow wounds may not mean someone who's weak. While deep would rule out anyone who's weak, shallow wounds could mean a strong person who's hiding their strength. Just a thought.

I just love how that eliminates absolutely nobody. *noises of frustration*


Despite the fact this made me laugh, be caaaalm.
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Nothing we have is absolute except the time of death. I just said it increases the likelihood of a weaker person doing it. If you think about things in terms of "Yes" and "No" you won't get very far. It's all percentages and probability.

Well, I'm no detective. I just barely managed to spot the guest total discrepancy, if it means anything in the long run. I don't wanna just sit back while others work out the crime, even if I'm pants at it.


We don't need a detective. We already have one of those. We need people who are Genre Savvy. We need people who can think, "If this were a story, as opposed to real life, whom would I suspect? Who would make the best murderer?"
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 pm

IslaKariese wrote:Well, I'm no detective. I just barely managed to spot the guest total discrepancy, if it means anything in the long run. I don't wanna just sit back while others work out the crime, even if I'm pants at it.


Well, you've got plenty of time to figure it out. I'm not going to be able to really work on it at all for another solid 24 hours or so. I'm just studying at my computer and responding if I see a comment pop up, which is why I'm still here.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Flitterbie wrote:We don't need a detective. We already have one of those. We need people who are Genre Savvy. We need people who can think, "If this were a story, as opposed to real life, whom would I suspect? Who would make the best murderer?"

Possibly the antisocial guy and his wife. But they were accounted for during the party.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
User avatar
IslaKariese
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:We don't need a detective. We already have one of those. We need people who are Genre Savvy. We need people who can think, "If this were a story, as opposed to real life, whom would I suspect? Who would make the best murderer?"

Possibly the antisocial guy and his wife. But they were accounted for during the party.


I thought about them too. But they almost seem too obvious.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:47 am

My thoughts on the shallow stab wounds: control. That sort of wound doesn't happen by chance alone, someone has to deliberately control the amount of force used, six times to be exact. Calm nerves and a steady hand IMO.
And I posted on Hercules blog about Jacqueline, her white dress and the possibility of blood transfer, which puts her low on my suspect list. Conversely Valérie du Bois' red dress places her high on my list because blood transfer could easily be missed. (Yeah I went all CSI with that one :lol: )

Also good job everyone with combing through this latest development. I don't think one single person could have come up with so much on their own. Lets all keep it up! :mrgreen:
User avatar
YankeeWhite
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: France and a New Mystery

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:20 am

I disagree about the control thing. When has there ever been a controlled stabbing? He was stabbed six times. This was a violent crime comitted by someone with something against our victim. I'm sticking with the killer being a weaker person.
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Hercule Poirot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest