St. Jerome's new case

"It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."

[Refictionalized 20 Dec 2012]

St. Jerome's new case

Postby JackAlsworth on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

http://belgianamongtheenglish.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/80/

So far, "Reynald" has been building a bit of a private detective agency. His new case has to do with a missing person named "Leslie Okogwu". Maybe if we help him, he'll help us?
JackAlsworth

Re: St. Jerome's new case

Postby Lordxana0 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 am

Lets bother Chesire and Mr. A to see if they can help us. Must be some kind of carrot we can dangle in front of them in order to get some help
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 am

How can we help him? Are any of us in England?
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm British and in England. My initial google-fu has failed me on a search for the names he mentions, but then I'm not entirely sure what to look for. This isn't exactly a Point and Click adventure, and I'm no detective...
Last edited by Scarab on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:30 pm

http://belgianamongtheenglish.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/80/#comment-54

St. Jerome is apparently really insistent that he isn't Poirot.
JackAlsworth

Postby Scarab on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Yeah, that's pretty insistent. Poiroit or not, he must be connected to all of this somehow... right? I mean surely no real-world detective would post details regarding a case like that on the internet? As he himself admits, that isn't good policy, and if he were a detective with the force, it'd probably get him fired.

Although... I don't know, maybe I'm just starting to see something weird everywhere... thanks, paranoia.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:49 pm

I've posted this on TV Tropes: I have some suspicions that Poirot deliberately misspells the names.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:17 pm

JackAlsworth

Postby Dryunya on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

To be honest, I can't stand the guy. For all these supernatural shenanigans, he is too mundane.
Just to confirm for the newcomers: he is Hercule Poirot. There was a placeholder post at his blog when we had just discovered it, which called him by name. So...
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby VicariousShaner on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm

What would happen if we attempted to confront him with this information? Does anyone here have some sort of screencap they could use?
VicariousShaner

Postby Dryunya on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:12 am

He doesn't seem to like when we keep following the topic of "fictional characters are totally real". I don't think it's a good idea.
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:15 am

Theory: What if his rage whenever fictional characters are brought up is an a attempt to hide the fact that he IS one? HE knows who he is, but he is afraid (rightly so) that if he ever does anything to prove his true identity that he will be forced to leave.

Hmmm.... We need tinfoil hats here...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 am

Why would he even need to draw our attention to the characters, then? Also, escaping into the real world has never seemed to be his actual goal.

Also, ARG-wise, he is fictional...
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 am

Erm... are we talking about the same person? I was under the impression this was a thread to talk about St-Jerome, AKA Poirot.

He hasn't really drawn our attention to ANY other character's, which is why I don't get your statement.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:30 am

Ooops, wrong thread. :oops:
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am

If I had a dollar for every time I've done something like that...

Though mostly it's using the wrong chat channel in chatrooms and MMOs.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 am

Just an update, in case somebody missed. Les Okogwu is dead.
Dryunya

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 am

Wild Mass Guessing here guys but our Belgian friend takes on mysterious that should be straight forward and they turn into murderer mysteries. Is he Sherlock Homes?
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am

As mentioned on the TV Tropes thread by Minyalos, the tall, well-dressed man is likely the dude with the cane on the cover of the comic. Also, I think that Poirot's client is more involved in this case than we think. My Genre Savvyness is going on red alert.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am

I just put this on tv tropes:

I find it strange that a man he spoke to by coincidence was looking for someone who happened to know the butler of the place Reynald is staying.

Maybe his client recognised him.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am

Possibly. Though you have to suspend disbelief to an extent with the ways detectives get their cases. After all, if the detective doesn't get an interesting case, where would the story be?

However, in this instance, I totally agree. I have read approximately 200-300 detective novels of various levels of complexity plus innumerable short stories, with almost 85% of them being Fair Play Whodunnits, and everything I know about the genre is screaming "INCOMING PLOT TWIST!"
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

You could suspend disbelief in a story, but he's here, in our reality. I don't think it's a coincidence.

EDIT: I have barely read any detective stories so you're probably better suited than me for this.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am

Well, I started reading at an unnaturally young age, and the very first books I read were detective stories. Been reading them ever since. Even had one of those phases where I wanted to be a detective. In retrospect, that may be partially responsible for my Awesomeness By Analysis moments.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Well, I started reading at an unnaturally young age, and the very first books I read were detective stories. Been reading them ever since. Even had one of those phases where I wanted to be a detective. In retrospect, that may be partially responsible for my Awesomeness By Analysis moments.

Dude, having read THAT many detective books, even over a course of a life, is pretty impressive on it's own, if you ask me.

You could suspend disbelief in a story, but he's here, in our reality. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Who knows, if characters are appearing in reality, what are the odds of fictional RULES starting to play a role in our world, too, at least with regards to the fictional characters' actions? The missing person being found dead is probably not an unusual trope in that genre. Still, you're probably right, it's far more likely that this is NOT a coinscidence, which raises several questions, including WHY he was so afraid of Reynald (or possibly the professor who hired him).
Scarab

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:23 pm

I started a thread for discussing the client.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Return to [REFIC'D] Hercule Poirot