New York, New Case

"It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."

[Refictionalized 20 Dec 2012]

New York, New Case

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:40 pm

It appears as though we have ourselves a hate crime.

At least, that's what it appears to be. This could, of course, be a ruse. Who even knows anymore.

What we know:
-A homosexual couple has been trying to organize a public event.
-They have repeatedly been given bomb threats, causing them to cancel the plans last-minute
-The threats are apparently coming from an extremist religous group
-Every time they have planned the event, they have received the threat without fail
-Searches for bugs have turned up nothing
-Hercule suspects that the weapon will be brought to the event, rather than having been planted in advance
-We have a quote from one of the threats:
“The blazes of this bomb that will rip you limb from limb is too good for you, but it is all that I can do; the rest I will leave to God, and your lack of penance and flaunting of your sin will surely cause you to face the worst of God’s wrath.”
Last edited by Flitterbie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flitterbie

Re: New York, New Case

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:42 pm

It would certainly seem so... religious nature?
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 pm

IslaKariese wrote:It would certainly seem so... religious nature?

Of course, it could just as easily be someone using that as a front. Never assume evil while asshole remains an option.
Flitterbie

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Muslim extremist, perhaps? Their religion is not very... gay friendly. Not to insult anyone or anything, but it really is true...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Muslim extremist, perhaps? Their religion is not very... gay friendly. Not to insult anyone or anything, but it really is true...

Could just as easily, and I think more likely, be Christian Extremist. Think a slightly-more-militant Westboro Baptist Church.
Flitterbie

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Flitterbie wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Could just as easily, and I think more likely, be Christian Extremist. Think a slightly-more-militant Westboro Baptist Church.

That IS a possibility, but I think a far less likely one.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

That IS a possibility, but I think a far less likely one.

Honestly, any other part of the world, I might agree. USA, though, much more likely to be Christians. I'm sad to say that some of us have... unfortunate tendencies. It's that whole Leviticus 18:22 thing.
Flitterbie

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Flitterbie wrote:Honestly, any other part of the world, I might agree. USA, though, much more likely to be Christians. I'm sad to say that some of us have... unfortunate tendencies. It's that whole Leviticus 18:22 thing.

Nevermind that half of the Old Testament is obsolete anyway... *grumble, grumble* Those kinds of people always give Christians a bad name.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:58 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Honestly, any other part of the world, I might agree. USA, though, much more likely to be Christians. I'm sad to say that some of us have... unfortunate tendencies. It's that whole Leviticus 18:22 thing.

Nevermind that half of the Old Testament is obsolete anyway... *grumble, grumble* Those kinds of people always give Christians a bad name.

Obsolete is a bad choice of words, but I get what you mean...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:59 pm

IslaKariese wrote:

To be fair, the New Testament is worse. Old Testament never mentions lesbians.
Flitterbie

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Obsolete is a bad choice of words, but I get what you mean...

Flitterbie wrote:To be fair, the New Testament is worse. Old Testament never mentions lesbians.

Yeah, I know. It just gets me mad. I may just stay away from this thread. No place for a religion debate.
IslaKariese

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:03 pm

IslaKariese wrote:

Flitterbie wrote:To be fair, the New Testament is worse. Old Testament never mentions lesbians.

Yeah, I know. It just gets me mad. I may just stay away from this thread. No place for a religion debate.

It may be like they said above, an asshole pretending just to cause trouble.

Actually, I think it more likely that there is an ulterior motive. It just makes a better story that way.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
IslaKariese wrote:

It may be like they said above, an asshole pretending just to cause trouble.

Actually, I think it more likely that there is an ulterior motive. It just makes a better story that way.

No, I didn't mean they were pretending to cause trouble. Just that they were pretending to be doing it as part of a religious group.
Flitterbie

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Flitterbie wrote:No, I didn't mean they were pretending to cause trouble. Just that they were pretending to be doing it as part of a religious group.

I knew that. >.< This time it was me with bad word choice.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Just read the description again... something isn't right here. First, why do you all seem to be assuming that he has been hired by two people? He never seems to say exactly how many there are. In fact, it seems as though it is a large apartment type place with many people in it.

As to the possible information leaks... perhaps a mole? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information. It doesn't even give me any names. Unless, of course, this somehow is connected to some other plot point, but HOW? *sigh* I'll just think on this for a while and let you know if something comes to me.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Just read the description again... something isn't right here. First, why do you all seem to be assuming that he has been hired by two people? He never seems to say exactly how many there are. In fact, it seems as though it is a large apartment type place with many people in it.

As to the possible information leaks... perhaps a mole? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information. It doesn't even give me any names. Unless, of course, this somehow is connected to some other plot point, but HOW? *sigh* I'll just think on this for a while and let you know if something comes to me.

I think it's just that the natural assumption is that it's a couple.

As for the mole, I've already considered that, hence my question I posted to his blog.

On an unrelated note, I officially announce my suspicion of Cinderella for this crime. Because she needs to get involved.
Flitterbie

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Flitterbie wrote:I think it's just that the natural assumption is that it's a couple.

As for the mole, I've already considered that, hence my question I posted to his blog.

On an unrelated note, I officially announce my suspicion of Cinderella for this crime. Because she needs to get involved.

I don't think it's a natural assumption at all. He refers to his location as a very large place, and talks about how "everyone has been awfully kind". Never does he talk about the clients as though they are a small group of people. Every time they are mentioned he speak as though talking about at least five or six.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 am

Actually, here's my theory:

No Offense intended, but I suspect the extremist is Muslim.

http://belgianamongtheenglish.wordpress ... /#comments
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Flitterbie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:32 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:Actually, here's my theory:

No Offense intended, but I suspect the extremist is Muslim.

http://belgianamongtheenglish.wordpress ... /#comments

Was that link supposed to be connected to that theory?
Flitterbie

Postby Dryunya on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:05 pm

I believe the comment wasn't approved yet. ;)

To the point: I know I'm terrible at the detectives' plotline, but I think that (UPD: Poirot's) post reveals ridiculously little.
Last edited by Dryunya on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Flitterbie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah, I just don't buy that it's Muslim. I dunno, the idea of Muslim extremists in NYC with bomb threats seems a little too... on the nose.
Flitterbie

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:46 pm

There's zero evidence suggesting the extremists are muslim. There's zero evidence to their identity at all. It could be the IRA for all we know. If you extremists and think "muslims", you need to do some research. Anyone can be an extremist.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Flitterbie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:30 pm

NeverSlender wrote:There's zero evidence suggesting the extremists are muslim. There's zero evidence to their identity at all. It could be the IRA for all we know. If you extremists and think "muslims", you need to do some research. Anyone can be an extremist.

Yeah, turns out Pyro assumed Muslims because "There is a huge rift between Americans and Muslims at the moment," which is a faulty assumption on several points.

A) He's lumping all Muslims together.
B) My previous post.
Flitterbie

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm

In any case, the argument is very possibly pointless because there is a good chance it is all just a cover for something else behind the scenes. Could we get back on track?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Flitterbie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

New post. Updating first post shortly.
Flitterbie

Next

Return to [REFIC'D] Hercule Poirot