Page 3 of 4

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:46 pm
by narrativedilettante
Scarab wrote:How IS Sweeny's wife alive anyway? Was it never clear in the original story?


In the story (or at least, the musical) this is what happened to Sweeney's wife:

After being raped by the judge, Lucy takes arsenic in order to kill herself. She doesn't die, but it leaves her insane (although the emotional trauma she'd just gone through likely had a lot to do with that, as well). By the time her husband gets back to London, she's been living as a beggar woman for years. They encounter one another several times without either realizing who the other is, though the beggar woman does comment "Hey, don't I know you mister" but Todd is trying to avoid people recognizing him from before, and writes it off. At the end of the play, Todd kills the beggar woman, only to realize later that she was his wife whom he'd believed dead. Mrs. Lovett knew that Lucy was alive, but mislead Todd because she wanted him for herself.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 am
by Scarab
narrativedilettante wrote:
Scarab wrote:How IS Sweeny's wife alive anyway? Was it never clear in the original story?


In the story (or at least, the musical) this is what happened to Sweeney's wife:

After being raped by the judge, Lucy takes arsenic in order to kill herself. She doesn't die, but it leaves her insane (although the emotional trauma she'd just gone through likely had a lot to do with that, as well). By the time her husband gets back to London, she's been living as a beggar woman for years. They encounter one another several times without either realizing who the other is, though the beggar woman does comment "Hey, don't I know you mister" but Todd is trying to avoid people recognizing him from before, and writes it off. At the end of the play, Todd kills the beggar woman, only to realize later that she was his wife whom he'd believed dead. Mrs. Lovett knew that Lucy was alive, but mislead Todd because she wanted him for herself.


...Well... that...

That really sucks :(

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 am
by H22
Poiriot seems really tactful with Sweeney, doesn't he?

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm
by Scarab
H22 wrote:Poiriot seems really tactful with Sweeney, doesn't he?


Well, Poirot is clever. I don't think Sweeney is used to dealing with people quite as clever as he is. That's the thing about Poirot - I think he knows that people underestimate him, think he's just a foreigner with a silly moustache, and often, he knows how to use that to his advantage... at least in the few parts of the tv series I've seen, anyway. I'm only just now reading one of his books.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm
by Pixelmage
Scarab wrote:
H22 wrote:Poiriot seems really tactful with Sweeney, doesn't he?


Well, Poirot is clever. I don't think Sweeney is used to dealing with people quite as clever as he is. That's the thing about Poirot - I think he knows that people underestimate him, think he's just a foreigner with a silly moustache, and often, he knows how to use that to his advantage... at least in the few parts of the tv series I've seen, anyway. I'm only just now reading one of his books.


He's like that in the books too. He really IS awesome like that. :)

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm
by Zup
Welp, another series to add to the list. If anything, this ARG is reminding me of books I need to read.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:21 am
by Scarab
Zup wrote:Welp, another series to add to the list. If anything, this ARG is reminding me of books I need to read.


The one I'm reading is 'The Big Four' which is a later one, it seems, so I'm missing a couple of points I should understand, but it's still a pretty good mystery story.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:25 am
by The Wild West Pyro
Scarab wrote:
Zup wrote:Welp, another series to add to the list. If anything, this ARG is reminding me of books I need to read.


The one I'm reading is 'The Big Four' which is a later one, it seems, so I'm missing a couple of points I should understand, but it's still a pretty good mystery story.


I suggest, to understand him even more, read the three:

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD

DEATH IN THE CLOUDS.

( Spoiler: Note: Pieter Van Haeran's death seems oddly similar to the one of one of the victims in the Big Four. Also, the Big Four kind of represent the Cabal, don;t you think?)

(Puts Tinfoil Fedora on.)

DID CHRISTIE SEE THIS WHOLE THING COMING?

( Takes hat off and leaves)

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:07 pm
by H22
I understand Poirot's latest post refers to langue d'avocats (Isn't that also a drink?). I have attempted to reply.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:21 pm
by Qara-Xuan Zenith
langue d'avocats is French for language of the lawyers.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:25 pm
by H22
Indeed yes

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 pm
by Greyscale
I would have guessed "avocados" but I guess that makes more sense.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am
by H22
Actually, avocado comes from the Spanish for lawyer... (God knows why...)

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 am
by The Wild West Pyro
He seems to be rather inactive lately- I wonder what happened to him?

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 am
by Dryunya
No new cases? Maybe he is waiting for Todd's refictionalization to move on? Who knows...

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 am
by The Wild West Pyro
Dryunya wrote:No new cases? Maybe he is waiting for Todd's refictionalization to move on? Who knows...


It could be minor cases that aren't really too exciting, such as a burglary.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 pm
by Qara-Xuan Zenith
Uh-oh. Sounds like Poirot's sick.
(Oh, and French check: "mon fievre" means "my fever", though you could probably all figure that one out.)

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 pm
by Scarab
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Uh-oh. Sounds like Poirot's sick.
(Oh, and French check: "mon fievre" means "my fever", though you could probably all figure that one out.)


Well that explains why he's been so quiet of late.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:01 pm
by Dryunya
WMG: it's that fictional thingy of his, like the one Holmes suffered. :shock:
...nah, probably not.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am
by The Wild West Pyro
Dryunya wrote:WMG: it's that fictional thingy of his, like the one Holmes suffered. :shock:
...nah, probably not.


It's probably just another flu.

He'll get over it. I have the flu too.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 am
by WackyMeetsPractical
A new case!

And it's taking him to Denver of all places. Looks like he and Holmes will be crossing paths once again.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:16 am
by The Wild West Pyro
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:A new case!

And it's taking him to Denver of all places. Looks like he and Holmes will be crossing paths once again.


I left him a comment.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 pm
by WackyMeetsPractical
The Wild West Pyro wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:A new case!

And it's taking him to Denver of all places. Looks like he and Holmes will be crossing paths once again.


I left him a comment.


He wants to meet Holmes. http://belgianamongtheenglish.wordpress ... omment-488

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 am
by The Finch
Poirot posted.

Re: Hercule Poirot blog discussion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 am
by Qara-Xuan Zenith
He's met with Holmes, though due to "creative differences" they're going to work on their (probably related) cases separately.

I commented letting him know that the song is from Phantom of the Opera.

...Oh, damn. Now that I think of it, If I remember correctly, that song specifically is from Erik's play-within-a-play Don Juan Triumphant.

Commenting now to point out that further connection. (unless someone else gets to it first, since my internet connection's terrible in this lecture hall)

Edit: so, Poirot responded to my comments with "!!!".

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?