A theory on the fourth wall

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

A theory on the fourth wall

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 pm

I think I've seen this mentioned before but, what the hell, I'll put it here. This is a theory on the fourth wall.

Mr. A and all of the instantiations are the fourth wall.

There are a few things that hint at this.

1. He is the administrator of TV Tropes and The Other Wiki. He is the link between fiction and reality.

2. He says he holds all the pieces of the wall. Each instantiation is a "piece" of the wall, and they are infinite.

3. He seems to be getting more unhinged with each video, he's "cracking up" and the cracks are getting worse.

4. This could be his motive for wanting the wall fixed, he's scared because it's him that's breaking.

I think it's also possible he didn't realise this. After all, he destroyed an instantiation himself. This could even have been what caused the wall to crack.

Thoughts?
Last edited by NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Re: A theory on the fourth wall

Postby Zup on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Well, it would fit with the comic cover that shows a shard of the wall, with a Mr. A instantiation. In fact, maybe that broken piece of himself is leading the Cabal...?
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:45 pm

This is a possible theory. I'm not so sure about the last couple of points although it's at least one possible explanation why he was so calm and casual then, but is less so now. It also explains why he's so concerned about the Wall cracking. I'd be pretty worried and on edge if I were the personification of the Wall between reality and fiction and *I* were starting to break down (but he knows he could TELL US that if it were true, right? It's not like we'd be any less willing to help fix the Wall if the Wall were him.)

It would also explain the large number of Instantations: lots of different parts of the wall, seperating different parts of fiction from reality, as well as explaining why they apparantly can't write fiction. It's for the same reason that a pen can't write a letter - it's just a conduit (albiet in this case, a sentient one.)

I've always wondered if maybe Mister A caused the wall to start breaking by accident and is now trying to do damage control. Whatever the case I think the void's existence is dependant on the wall in some way, and upon the continued existence of OUR reality.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

If I'm remembering correctly, this also fits with what Cheshire said. He passed through somewhere on the way (the void) and there was a "he" there who wouldn't like being called a monster (Mr. A).
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm

NeverSlender wrote:If I'm remembering correctly, this also fits with what Cheshire said. He passed through somewhere on the way (the void) and there was a "he" there who wouldn't like being called a monster (Mr. A).

Yeah, odds are the Cheshire has visited the void (not for the first time I find myself wishing we could make more sense out of that guy...
Then again he could just have been referring to the fact that the void exists between fiction and reality... Where IS the void in relation to the Wall, anyway? Could the void BE the Wall itself?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Scarab wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:If I'm remembering correctly, this also fits with what Cheshire said. He passed through somewhere on the way (the void) and there was a "he" there who wouldn't like being called a monster (Mr. A).

Yeah, odds are the Cheshire has visited the void (not for the first time I find myself wishing we could make more sense out of that guy...
Then again he could just have been referring to the fact that the void exists between fiction and reality... Where IS the void in relation to the Wall, anyway? Could the void BE the Wall itself?

I think the Void is in the wall or something like that. You know, like, in the Great Wall, there is some space over it where people can walk. I see the void as the equivalent for the 4th Wall.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Victin wrote:
Scarab wrote:

I think the Void is in the wall or something like that. You know, like, in the Great Wall, there is some space over it where people can walk. I see the void as the equivalent for the 4th Wall.

Huh, yeah that makes sense. Not that I think about it that also fits with what Mister A said in the Mind Screw video about 'manning their stations along the forth wall'. Sounds as if theyre on TOP of it.
Scarab

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:11 pm

By maintain your position along the fourth wall, he could mean maintain your position as the fourth wall, or in the fourth wall or... something.

I know what I mean, but I have no idea how to word it.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:15 pm

NeverSlender wrote:By maintain your position along the fourth wall, he could mean maintain your position as the fourth wall, or in the fourth wall or... something.

So maybe ALL the instantations are the fourth wall? Maybe every time a character breaks through, one of them is destroyed?
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Scarab wrote:So maybe ALL the instantations are the fourth wall? Maybe every time a character breaks through, one of them is destroyed?

But he terminates instatiations all the time... That'd be a huge problem if cAke is the fourth wall...
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Scarab wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:By maintain your position along the fourth wall, he could mean maintain your position as the fourth wall, or in the fourth wall or... something.

So maybe ALL the instantations are the fourth wall? Maybe every time a character breaks through, one of them is destroyed?

Yeah that's what I meant. I'll add it to the OP.

For the second part, Mr. A has been seen to destroy instantiations. Maybe he caused the cracks himself as he didn't REALISE he is the fourth wall.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:39 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I think I've seen this mentioned before but, what the hell, I'll put it here. This is a theory on the fourth wall.

Mr. A and all of the instantiations are the fourth wall.

There are a few things that hint at this.

1. He is the administrator of TV Tropes and The Other Wiki. He is the link between fiction and reality.

2. He says he holds all the pieces of the wall. Each instantiation is a "piece" of the wall, and they are infinite.

3. He seems to be getting more unhinged with each video, he's "cracking up" and the cracks are getting worse.

4. This could be his motive for wanting the wall fixed, he's scared because it's him that's breaking.

I think it's also possible he didn't realise this. After all, he destroyed an instantiation himself. This could even have been what caused the wall to crack.

Thoughts?

This could be plausible, but there is plenty of evidence for and against it.

Scarab wrote:Where IS the void in relation to the Wall, anyway? Could the void BE the Wall itself?"

I asked Mr. A this specifically last night. I asked if the Void and the wall were one and the same. He said yes. The void is the wall. He is in the void. Thus, he is in the wall.

The only problem with this is that he also said that when the wall breaks, and our reality ceases to be, that he will continue to exist. Although that doesn't mean that he continues to exist inside the wall.

The only problem with that is I'm pretty sure Cheshire said that who ever he saw was no longer there. Mr. A is still in the void, so doubtful it was he that Cheshire saw.

Frankly, the whole void/wall thing has me very confused. Hopefully Mr. A will get around to creating an accurate model and clear everything up.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Part of my theory is that Mr. A doesn't know he's the fourth wall, otherwise he wouldn't willingly destroy instantiations/pieces.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:46 pm

NeverSlender wrote:Part of my theory is that Mr. A doesn't know he's the fourth wall, otherwise he wouldn't willingly destroy instantiations/pieces.

He says he has the pieces. So if the pieces are him, and he knows he has the pieces, and he has himself, then...Hold on, I'm confusing myself.

He says he has the pieces. He should know what they look like. But if he's the wall and his instantations are the pieces, and they have themselves...I can't articulate this for some reason.

It's possible, but it would really confuse me if it were so. I think the void being the wall is the better explanation. Less confusing, though still somewhat confusing.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:Part of my theory is that Mr. A doesn't know he's the fourth wall, otherwise he wouldn't willingly destroy instantiations/pieces.

He says he has the pieces. So if the pieces are him, and he knows he has the pieces, and he has himself, then...Hold on, I'm confusing myself.

He says he has the pieces. He should know what they look like. But if he's the wall and his instantations are the pieces, and they have themselves...I can't articulate this for some reason.

It's possible, but it would really confuse me if it were so. I think the void being the wall is the better explanation. Less confusing, though still somewhat confusing.

I had the same problem earlier. I know what I mean but not how to write it.

It's possible he's started to realise he's the wall, or only Prime knows. I have no idea, but both him or the void being the wall is possible.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Guys, Wacky is right. Mostly. The Void isn't QUITE the wall, but to say so isn't wrong. Technically, the wall itself is larger in effect than the void, and the void is just the interior of it. It's like calling the guard stations and hallways placed inside a castle wall the wall itself. Technically, there is an outside as well, but if you want to break through it you have to blast through the stuff inside it too. The void is just the interior of the wall, and the exterior just cannot be observed because there is no point where we can actually observe it.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Guys, Wacky is right. Mostly. The Void isn't QUITE the wall, but to say so isn't wrong. Technically, the wall itself is larger in effect than the void, and the void is just the interior of it. It's like calling the guard stations and hallways placed inside a castle wall the wall itself. Technically, there is an outside as well, but if you want to break through it you have to blast through the stuff inside it too. The void is just the interior of the wall, and the exterior just cannot be observed because there is no point where we can actually observe it.

I pointed that out before, but you explained it better.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Guys, Wacky is right. Mostly. The Void isn't QUITE the wall, but to say so isn't wrong. Technically, the wall itself is larger in effect than the void, and the void is just the interior of it. It's like calling the guard stations and hallways placed inside a castle wall the wall itself. Technically, there is an outside as well, but if you want to break through it you have to blast through the stuff inside it too. The void is just the interior of the wall, and the exterior just cannot be observed because there is no point where we can actually observe it.

So what does that make Mr. A? Is it his prison or something?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

NeverSlender wrote:

No, it's his HOME, and it's his duty to guard it. It seems like he was generated by the Void, or just came into existence at the same time as it in order to take care of it. He's like the janitor of reality. XD
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:

No, it's his HOME, and it's his duty to guard it. It seems like he was generated by the Void, or just came into existence at the same time as it in order to take care of it. He's like the janitor of reality. XD

I think that's the best theory I've heard so far. Plus, I like thinking of Mr. Administrator as a janitor. :lol:
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Here's a thought. What if the void is Mr. As prison, and he wants out? He doesn't seem to be able to leave (currently trawling through his twitter to see if anyone asked that). How would he go about getting out? By breaking the "outside" of the void ie the wall. That would explain why he said (exact words) "OUR PRIORITY IS THAT YOUR WORLD EXIST WHEN THIS IS OVER". He says nothing about keeping the PEOPLE safe, he just wants somewhere to live that isn't complete nothingness. I don't know if it's just me but his "send characters back through cracks to seal them" doesn't make much sense from a physics point of view (which may not apply here). If you push something through a crack then it makes the crack worse.

Really need a tin foil hat emote.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 pm

NeverSlender wrote:Here's a thought. What if the void is Mr. As prison, and he wants out? He doesn't seem to be able to leave (currently trawling through his twitter to see if anyone asked that). How would he go about getting out? By breaking the "outside" of the void ie the wall. That would explain why he said (exact words) "OUR PRIORITY IS THAT YOUR WORLD EXIST WHEN THIS IS OVER". He says nothing about keeping the PEOPLE safe, he just wants somewhere to live that isn't complete nothingness. I don't know if it's just me but his "send characters back through cracks to seal them" doesn't make much sense from a physics point of view (which may not apply here). If you push something through a crack then it makes the crack worse.

I did ask him if he was trapped in the void. He answered that only in the sense that we are trapped in reality. He then continues on to say that they rather like it there, mentioned having a mini fridge, a dart board, a foosball table, etc. They seem quite content and comfortable, with access to any luxury they could desire. If he wants out, he hides it well.

As for the physics thing, it's not that he needs all the characters through to fix the wall. It's just that when we do fix the wall, it will be impossible to get the characters through, so we need to do it now, because we can't do it once it's fixed.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:14 pm

NeverSlender wrote:Here's a thought. What if the void is Mr. As prison, and he wants out? He doesn't seem to be able to leave (currently trawling through his twitter to see if anyone asked that). How would he go about getting out? By breaking the "outside" of the void ie the wall. That would explain why he said (exact words) "OUR PRIORITY IS THAT YOUR WORLD EXIST WHEN THIS IS OVER". He says nothing about keeping the PEOPLE safe, he just wants somewhere to live that isn't complete nothingness. I don't know if it's just me but his "send characters back through cracks to seal them" doesn't make much sense from a physics point of view (which may not apply here). If you push something through a crack then it makes the crack worse.

Well how else would one send the characters back? Make ANOTHER hole in the wall? It's the only thing we can do aside from annihilating all traces of them from existence on this side. Even if it makes the cracks worse, we will be able to fix them right afterwords. And that comment was probably just him being sarcastic. I don't think there is a deeper meaning.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I did ask him if he was trapped in the void. He answered that only in the sense that we are trapped in reality. He then continues on to say that they rather like it there, mentioned having a mini fridge, a dart board, a foosball table, etc. They seem quite content and comfortable, with access to any luxury they could desire. If he wants out, he hides it well.

As for the physics thing, it's not that he needs all the characters through to fix the wall. It's just that when we do fix the wall, it will be impossible to get the characters through, so we need to do it now, because we can't do it once it's fixed.

HE could be happy there, but there are ininite instantiations, can all of them be happy?

For the physics part, if normal physics apply, I can't see how sending characters back through cracks could donanything but make the cracks worse.

I hope he starts answering questions again, I've got loads to ask him.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:19 pm

NeverSlender wrote:

HE could be happy there, but there are ininite instantiations, can all of them be happy?

For the physics part, if normal physics apply, I can't see how sending characters back through cracks could donanything but make the cracks worse.

I hope he starts answering questions again, I've got loads to ask him.

Unless they're big. Does sending something through a door make a door worse? In any case, if he can fix the wall, he can fix it no matter how big the cracks are.
WackyMeetsPractical

Next

Return to General Discussion