Email Exchanges with the Witch

"A leader must rule through fear and flying monkeys!"

[Refictionalized 20 Dec 2012]

Email Exchanges with the Witch

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm

This page contains information regarding the campaigners’ contacts with the Wicked Witch. It will be added to when necessary. Linked first are the emails each of campaigner's initial exchanges with the witch. Here everyone can suppose ideas on where we go next.

Scarab’s Emails: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxH5gn ... mNwUW9FRjA
Dryunya’s Emails: http://pastebin.com/nstDcfF7
WackyMeetsPractical’s Emails: Forthcoming

Earlier this evening I sent the following vague email regarding our efforts, trying to make it appear we’d been productive.

Greetings from the front line of the Campaign,
Your new aids and I have been discussing our options. It‘s early days yet, but we have agreed upon several sites with which we are connected, to begin promotion of your campaign.
We have also begun work on ideas for posters: a designer must be found. You would of course have the final say on anything we came up with. We were wondering if you had selected a slogan you believe represented your plans for America and the world? Something short and catchy which would stick in people’s minds. Any particular slogans you used in Oz that proved to be effective? Later on in the campaign I would also suggest you consider bodyguards however let’s not worry too much on that right now.
Scarab

Her reply came soon after.

Excellent! I am pleased that you are already at work, being evil. What sites are you considering launching from?
As for the poster idea, I have actually been workshopping something in that regard. Behold, attached! You may use it for promotion or as a basis of inspiration for something more... appropriate for this world. Of course there are many possible designs and slogans. I have trust in your abilities to faithfully represent what I stand for-- Change. Evil. An end to Democracy. Flying monkeys.
I will be updating the general public on these developments soon.
Do not fail me!

...No pressure, then. :shock: Anyway essentially, our job right now appears to be information exchange: we get her word out there and helpfully advertise the forum at the same time.

Query: are we ok to link her to TV tropes? I know it’d been done before with other characters...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Email Exchanges with the Witch

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Latest emails have a somewhat different tone in the light of her confrontation with Sicon. Opening with a simple request as to whether the plan was still going forward as we had agreed, her response was this.

Of course, Sarah. If you could push for people to put up the posters, make some of their own... that seems like the place to start.
It's easy to be evil and destroy things... so many in this world seem to favor that. Whatever happened to evil with a purpose? Evil that builds. We must bring that back.
I have to find my place in this world. I have to make a difference. Right now, everything hinges on your loyalty. Please, don't disappoint me.

I find myself wanting to ask some questions I think it would be perilous to ask right now. I want to ask if she knows what Oz is in relationship to us. Does she already know this, or has she at least given any signs that she suspects it?

She's a capable liar, I know this, but if this IS a rare moment of honesty from her, then perhaps we should respond in kind. Sicon has thrown her off balance, and this moment of potential might not happen again for a while.

What do you all suggest?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Scarab wrote:I find myself wanting to ask some questions I think it would be perilous to ask right now. I want to ask if she knows what Oz is in relationship to us. Does she already know this, or has she at least given any signs that she suspects it?

She's a capable liar, I know this, but if this IS a rare moment of honesty from her, then perhaps we should respond in kind. Sicon has thrown her off balance, and this moment of potential might not happen again for a while.

What do you all suggest?

As I stated on the other thread, while I will still be operating under the assumption that she is faking, I will purposely craft any plans I may make so that they can be used to support attempts to instigate a Heel Face Turn. As long as you understand that however sympathetic she is, she is still the most dangerous person we have dealt with yet, being kind to her is not a bad idea. Attempts to actually turn her will end badly, but if you aid her and are kind to her, we don't really lose as long as you don't give her aid that hurts us.

If she is faking, we just go along the same path we were planning to go down before we found that she had discovered us.

However, if she is sincere, then perhaps the harm she can potentially deal can be mitigated.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Scarab wrote:I find myself wanting to ask some questions I think it would be perilous to ask right now. I want to ask if she knows what Oz is in relationship to us. Does she already know this, or has she at least given any signs that she suspects it?

What do you all suggest?

As I stated on the other thread, while I will still be operating under the assumption that she is faking, I will purposely craft any plans I may make so that they can be used to support attempts to instigate a Heel Face Turn. As long as you understand that however sympathetic she is, she is still the most dangerous person we have dealt with yet, being kind to her is not a bad idea. Attempts to actually turn her will end badly, but if you aid her and are kind to her, we don't really lose as long as you don't give her aid that hurts us.

If she is faking, we just go along the same path we were planning to go down before we found that she had discovered us.

However, if she is sincere, then perhaps the harm she can potentially deal can be mitigated.

Understood. I'll be careful.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 pm

So here it is, a gesture of good faith or something, I suppose.

Then we have posters to put up.
Human beings seek purpose, as you do. We all have agendas, we all have something we want and limits as to what we'll do to get it. A lot of us have... a tendency to lose track of what we wanted in the midst of all the chaos. I wanted change too, hence why I'm here. But it's not an easy world to change.
This is politics. It's hardly the prime breeding ground of honesty (if it were we wouldn't have a prayer here) but perhaps right now is the time for some honesty between us. Blame that soul I've been crushing down on for twenty five years if you have to, but I need to ask:
What exactly do you know about this place? Are you aware of exactly WHAT the world of Oz is to the people of this world and why your constructive evil now feels so out of place amidst all of our destruction?
And.... okay, this last one is mostly just a curiosity on my part, but do you remember a sickeningly cheerful, optimistic young girl with a small dog, and what became of her?
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:02 am

Aaaand we have a response to that:

Minion, you take counsel from the one who insults me. If I am to trust you, you need to earn it. And you need to trust me, or I will be forced to find some other party to support my cause.
You are right, people have agendas. They need incentive to make change. So here is yours: Since you seem to be so eager to learn about me, establish some reward system. If people put up some number of posters. Encourage people to make their own.
If enough people send in pictures of actual posters placed in actual places... perhaps we will talk.

Yeah, pretty understandable reaction on her part really. Naturally what she wants to see is actual action before she starts trusting even her own campaigners. So then, I'd say now would be a good time to get started on getting those campaign posters out there.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am

Scarab wrote:Aaaand we have a response to that:

Minion, you take counsel from the one who insults me. If I am to trust you, you need to earn it. And you need to trust me, or I will be forced to find some other party to support my cause.
You are right, people have agendas. They need incentive to make change. So here is yours: Since you seem to be so eager to learn about me, establish some reward system. If people put up some number of posters. Encourage people to make their own.
If enough people send in pictures of actual posters placed in actual places... perhaps we will talk.

Yeah, pretty understandable reaction on her part really. Naturally what she wants to see is actual action before she starts trusting even her own campaigners. So then, I'd say now would be a good time to get started on getting those campaign posters out there.

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately, as good as I am at plotting, I'm useless in the physical world for now, being both ill and a hikikomori, so it's up to you guys this time.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Scarab wrote:Aaaand we have a response to that:

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately, as good as I am at plotting, I'm useless in the physical world for now, being both ill and a hikikomori, so it's up to you guys this time.

Fear not. We shall manage somehow I'm sure, just you know, focus on not being so ill in the future, and leave the crazy campaigning to the rest of us :).
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Email exchange continues with the following. Aware that some of us, while happy to put up posters, were slightly concerned about attracting the local crazies rather than the regualr voters, I contacted the witch with regards to adjusting her poster's slogan.

The aides and I have discussed the poster you sent us and have a suggestion.
The poster is great overall; it says everything that needs to be said. Our only concern lies with the slogan.
While ‘End Democracy’ is the idea of this whole campaign, democracy, ineffective though it may be, has been the chosen political stance of America for over a hundred years. They don’t know any other way. They are frightened by change, and it’s not usually the kind of fear that you can USE, so much as the kind that has people running about like babbling idiots and generally causing more problems. It might scare away your voters before they can see the value of your ideas.
Hence we would suggest changing your slogan to something more subtle. Something that captures your campaign, but that won’t make them think they have to do anything too strenuous.
Once we have the final poster we’ll run it up in several sizes and variations and see about getting it out there already. We’re working on the website.

Her response was to the point.

If you have another idea for a slogan then, by all means, suggest it. "End Democracy" is only one of many options. We must move quickly if we wish to gain traction.

Since then several suggestions have been made for alternatives, many of them awesome. The witch is about to be sent a sample of one of them to see what she thinks, and Dryunya was good enough to run up a blank template of the design which will be posted here soon for all of your perusal. I'm sure you understand the basics of the campaign enough to run with your own ideas and the witch will surely be glad to know she has allies here willing to assist her in her plans.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 am

No point in giving my half of the enxt conversation, it was basically 'Look, here's an alternative poster design, what do you think' the witch responded thusly.

Wicked Witch wrote:I'd go with something more evil, but you have proven you know this world better than I.
I suppose deception is another form of evil, after all.

She's really getting the hang of the way things work in this world.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:33 pm

The witch has responded to the previous email, following her rather... disasterous exchange with the bank the other day.

Wicked Witch wrote:I am glad that our scheming is coming to fruition. I only have one suggestion -- the green text does not "pop" as much as it could from the background. I have been reading up on style guides, lately, and they recommend using "a white sans-serif font on dark backgrounds."
Of course green is the superior color, but sometimes concessions must be made.

I think she's probably right. I responded with the following.

Scarab wrote:Yes, I can see how that would work better. I'll add it to the versions we have so far. Blank drafts of your poster are also circulating the forum. In spite of their frequent bickering, these guys are really turning out to be helpful with the poster distribution. Some have already offered to spread your posters in their local area. They have a few things in the works over there, and it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.
Also, regarding your most recent post. I apologise for not helping you be better informed. We should've told you sooner about precisely how banking and such things work around here, being campaign managers and all. The evil cackling will not have gone down especially well. Clearly your way of evil and ours are drastically different and this is something we must work around.
I am not sure how we are to resolve this conflict of evil-types. But my first suggestion would be to figure out how we can get you into that job using OUR world's political methods. There's no problem with your intent, it's just about getting it out there in away that fits our world's understanding of things.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 pm

This latest email comes due to an odd discovery made by the forum.

Incidentally in their search for finding a way to get people like you home, the forum has come across something lately that I do believe you'll recognize.
It's attached above. You may notice it as one of your campaign letters (the forum got hold of it... apparantly from a rubbish bin.)
We are... concerned about the people responsible for that letter. We believe they may pose a threat to those such as yourself and that they attempt to jeopardise any attempt you could make to return home. They're also certainly not working for you on the campaign side. I believe they were just seeking to get close to you for their own ends, however you chose another manager, and thus blocked their attempt.
Do you recognize the letter and who it was who sent it to you?

Awaiting a response.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 pm

The reply has come. Oh my...

Wicked Witch wrote:I do recognize the letter. I printed it out to review it on my trip to New York, but... events... there had me trashing the whole folder in a rage.
I'm not worried about the sender. He wasn't nearly evil enough to join my ranks. I thought he might work anyway...but then he linked to his insipid little website on his resume, and it was filled with pathetic aspirations of nobility. I still have the resume on file, if you believe it will somehow further your own presumably evil goals.

Well, that intrigued me, I'd never turn down the chance to further my education.

Scarab wrote:Yes, I would appreciate it, if you could send the link my way. If anything it's an exercise in how NOT to do the job right that I can learn from...
Still working on adverts, by the way. Assuming they're needed.

Aaaand so she did.

Wicked Witch wrote:Of course they are needed. For the record, I WILL reward those who distribute large amount of fliers.
Regardless, file is attached.

And it had a blog address on it.
Scarab

Postby Zup on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:14 am

Nice work!
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby agoraoptera on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 am

On a somewhat off-topic note, I wonder what the Witch would say if we recommended her to watch the Presidential (Wizardly?) Debates to get an idea of what she needs to become Wizard.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am

agoraoptera wrote:On a somewhat off-topic note, I wonder what the Witch would say if we recommended her to watch the Presidential (Wizardly?) Debates to get an idea of what she needs to become Wizard.

She watched the first debates. That's what inspired her to run for president to begin with.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby The Finch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 am

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
agoraoptera wrote:On a somewhat off-topic note, I wonder what the Witch would say if we recommended her to watch the Presidential (Wizardly?) Debates to get an idea of what she needs to become Wizard.

She watched the first debates. That's what inspired her to run for president to begin with.

I don't know how she'll react to the second debate...
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

The Finch wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:

I don't know how she'll react to the second debate...

I didn't see them... what exactly went down?
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Chaos. If you've EVER debated before, it would have looked like pure chaos.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:42 pm

The Finch wrote:Chaos. If you've EVER debated before, it would have looked like pure chaos.

No wonder she felt she'd fit in. But I think her chaos is a lot more... organized.

Okay I just sent her an email regarding the latest... events. I thought it was the safest option, she's going to throw herself through a mirror at this rate.

Scarab's Email wrote:Seriously, I would strongly advise AGAINST breaking into anymore houses. I don't know how we're going to hide or explain that on a campaign run.
I would also advise against reading anymore of those books. Please be careful with mirrors, you run the risk of ending up in the A&E and trust me that is not a place you want to go. medical bills are the greatest example of modern evil the world has to offer. I am somewhat doubtful of the success rate of throwing yourself into plate glass.
The forum are working on other methods regarding getting you back to Oz.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Upon the advice of others I have contacted the witch regarding the echoes in her ocation. I have also sent her the comic page featuring her we recently gained access to.

Scarab wrote:Please observe. This may be important.
In the forums work to identify a means of returning you to your home world, we have been tracking a phenomenon known as Echoes. These are.... well, threadbare places in reality, I suppose, where your emergence and continued existence here affects the boundaries between our world and your own. Thse can be shown up using certain technologies that have been provided for us.
One of the forum agents has tracked an echo in the location you indicated visiting the other day, after your bank trip (a statue of ‘some guy named Duffy’?) We found an echo there.
This is evidence. This is what we were looking for. Now that we can track where people emerge from we can take further steps in returning you home. Granted we are still working on what to DO with this information but rest assured progress is being made. Don't go jumping into any mirrors. if you don't have to
Also, upon discovering that location the following piece of evidence was revealed to us.
The image is attached. I’m going to presume it looks familiar to you? (Assuming you can see it, I’m willing to consider the possibility this is as invisible to you as “The Wizard of Oz” was.

Awaiting a response.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 pm

No response in a while now. Checked in with the witch just a few minutes ago.

Scarab wrote: At the risk of sounding both overly moral and concerned... you alright out there?
You haven't shown up since the wardrobe incident, so we're a bit worried you might have had a rough encounter with a mirror or something even after I explictly told you jumping through them is a bad idea. I mean, I know it's the minion's JOB to be summerarily ignored half of the time (at least as far as I can tell), and there is usually good reason for this, but a check in would be helpful, just so we can confirm that I don't have to start trawling local A&E's for you.
...Or filing missing persons reports. I really don't know how the station would respond to 'about so tall, brown hair emerald green skin, has a really good cackle' and I don't want to find out. Let's save that for the campaign.
Seriously, everything okay on your end?
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Okay guys this could be important and I mean VERY important.

My most recent exchange with the witch was done on request from Qara, an urgent situation broke out with Sweeney and we really needed to discover, FAST, whether or not characters could see films or TV series featuring them, as they couldn’t read their original texts.
So I emailed this to the witch:

Scarab wrote:We have a situation of utmost urgency on our hands, and it deals with people who, like you, have trouble with the getting back to where they belong thing.
We need confirmation of something. This may seem strange and frivolous to you, but I hope you have in any way come to trust my judgement over the last few weeks. I won’t ask politely, I get the feeling that wouldn’t go down well (sorry, instincts, you know?), I’ll just say... it’s pretty imperative to certain issues we are currently dealing with.
There is a movie in existence , and we wish to know if you can see it. In much the same way you were unable to read certain books earlier on, we need confirmation of whether or not you have the same problem when watching the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQLNS3HWfCM
This could be relevant to you in the future, make no mistake, and is certainly relevant to us in the present

And this was her response barely an hour or two later.

Wicked Witch wrote:I cannot watch this "movie" you want me to see. Every time I click Play, it gets stuck buffering. I attempted to rectify this by building a new computer from some parts I had lying around the lab, but I was unable to fix it.
So I looked around for summaries of this film. I found, among other things, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard ... (1939_film)
It seems to be a story about me! And Oz! And every summary I read celebrated my villainy.
This has hardened my resolve to return home, and reaffirmed my belief that it is possible.
Thank you. At next opportunity, I shall gift you a flying monkey.

GUYS I’M GETTING A FLYING MONKEY! :D

And on an even more serious note, this could be the breakthrough we’re looking for! They can’t watch their programs... but they CAN READ THEIR WIKIPEDIA PAGES!
Scarab

Postby S_o_S on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 pm

FUCKING YES SCARAB THIS WAS WORTH THE SUSPENSE!
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:48 pm

OH MY F***ING GOD :shock: :o
TAKE THIS :gurt: SCARAB AND THIS :gurt: QARA
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Next

Return to [REFIC'D] The Wicked Witch