locator.pheeble.net

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: locator.pheeble.net

Postby Scarab on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Pan was the one to first get the locator, maybe OUR lat and long don't matter - we just have to get HIS. That would make sense... Of course now he's locked up so maybe we have to help him first.

Or possibly some other fictional needs to look it up: the first image on the locator was of a sailor right? So maybe Long John Silver?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:08 pm

WE'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO THOSE IDEAS.
PAN NEVER REPLIED WITH HIS COORDINATES OR COMPASSES; SOME PEOPLE TRIED PROXY SERVERS IN PITTSBURGH TODAY, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.
AND I THINK SOMEONE TWEETED LJS ABOUT IT BUT GOT NO RESPONSE.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK THE WITCH TO TRY IT, JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A GREAT SOURCE OF EXPERIMENTAL INFORMATION. THOUGH I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT WOULD HAVE TO DO WITH HER.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:WE'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO THOSE IDEAS.
PAN NEVER REPLIED WITH HIS COORDINATES OR COMPASSES; SOME PEOPLE TRIED PROXY SERVERS IN PITTSBURGH TODAY, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK THE WITCH TO TRY IT, JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A GREAT SOURCE OF EXPERIMENTAL INFORMATION. THOUGH I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT WOULD HAVE TO DO WITH HER.

...THAT COULD BE AN IDEA, ACTUALLY.

I MEAN SHE'S GOOD WITH TECH... BUT WHAT WOULD I EVEN ASK?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Scarab wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:WE'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO THOSE IDEAS.

...THAT COULD BE AN IDEA, ACTUALLY.

I MEAN SHE'S GOOD WITH TECH... BUT WHAT WOULD I EVEN ASK?

WE'RE TRYING TO DISCOVER HOW TO TAKE YOU BACK. COULD YOU CHECK THIS *LINK* FOR MORE INFO?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 pm

ALSO, JOHN SILVER DIDN'T REPLY TO THE LINK. :(
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:30 pm

CRACKERS. WHAT ELSE ARE WE TO DO?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Scarab on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Just had the following exchange with Mister A

Scarab wrote:@YouHaveFailedUs You could make this a problem lot easier for us if you would just tell us which one it was

Mister A wrote:@GlyphSun THE EARTH IS NOT A MERCATOR PROJECTION.

...So it's not a flat map we should be using?
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59 pm

YEAH. GLOBE IT IS, THEN. CAN'T HELP WITH THAT UNTIL TOMORROW, THOUGH. AND GOOGLE EARTH STILL DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. :cry:
I HOPE YOU CAN FINISH IT BY THEN.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Dryunya wrote:YEAH. GLOBE IT IS, THEN. CAN'T HELP WITH THAT UNTIL TOMORROW, THOUGH. AND GOOGLE EARTH STILL DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. :cry:
I HOPE YOU CAN FINISH IT BY THEN.

NEW RESPONSE:

Mister A wrote:@GlyphSun THAT IS OUR ASSUMPTION. BEAR IN MIND THAT WE DID NOT DESIGN THIS DEVICE. WE ARE CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT RESULTS A GLOBE YIELDS.

Yeeeup. Definitely a globe as you suppose. I have no idea how that would be done but I presume somebody already knows, who is smarter than I...
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:25 am

Ok. My Google Earth has inexplicably stopped crashing, so I've began plotting on it.
Here is my current version (lifetime 5 days; Me, Sicon and Qara on the map), assuming I've saved it properly - I'm not sure about that.

Now, the problems with the globe:
  1. The Earth is round (duh), which is why the directions are mostly my estimation. I have no idea how to plot them properly.
  2. The Earth is not exactly round. I see that Google Earth accounts for that by using not-quite-square grid, and I have no idea whether to take it into consideration. And, mind you, that influences the results greatly. If we used a physical globe, we sure would have to treat it as completely round.
  3. I haven't found a "line in the direction" function in Google Earth. It sure would make it much easier.
  4. The lines on the globe are plotted in some weird manner (OK, I know that it's geometrically correct, but whatever). The problem is with horizontal lines (W / E). I have to choose between the line looking actually straight at the start, and making it go parallel to the grid (in that case it bends in a weird manner).

In short, I still think I'm going to fail on this one. Too many assumptions. Also, I can only use Google Earth at home, which, in the next couple of days, boils down to an hour or so per day. Somebody neeeds to Take Up My Sword if we are limited by time. :(

On the bright side, Google Earth allows to hide the lines in an arbitrary manner. I've sorted them by folders, so we can show/hide the same lines in a single click. Convenient. ^_^
Dryunya

Postby Tohrinha on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm trying out a Google Sketchup model. Right now I have all the east-west lines plotted. I'll post again when I'm closer to finished.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:18 am

I'll try to make several more lines (much) later today (2-3 entries if I keep my pace). If I get any results, I'll post.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:58 am

...I did one. :(
Here are my results so far: pew
We seem to be getting somewhere, but the greens are still stubborn.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:39 am

Oh. Update. I found a perfect way to plot lines more precisely. I think I'll make some improvements now.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 am

Dryunya wrote:Oh. Update. I found a perfect way to plot lines more precisely. I think I'll make some improvements now.

You're awesome, Dryu. I have no idea how this works, but you're awesome.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:05 am

I beg to differ. I'm still don't understand how diagonal lines work...
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:00 am

Dryunya wrote:I beg to differ. I'm still don't understand how diagonal lines work...

Genius Ditz?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:18 am

C'mon. :|

I've completed about a half of the records.
Google Earth data
As images

Basically, I seem to get more definite results, but that's still not exactly enough. I'm still not sure if I'm plotting diagonal lines properly (if I try to keep them... direct, if that word is even applicable, they change direction after a while), and the green lines still don't fit any particular pattern.
And now that we get some areas, what the hell should we do with them?! :evil:
Dryunya

Postby Victin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 pm

"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Blurred_9L on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm

The locator has updated, as Victin says. It now shows values in miles for every compass. One of the compasses is hightlighted too.

Here's an example:
http://tinypic.com/r/1977rb/6
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 pm

It did work for me now.
Here's the image.
Pixel.Locator.png
Pixelmage.updated.Locator
Pixel.Locator.png (119.92 KiB) Viewed 7525 times
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Time to update the thread with our updated information, I think!

Dryu, you already have my coordinates. My compasses now read as follows (the highlighted one is in bold):

Top centre: NE, 3397 mi
Second row, left to right: SE, 348 mi; NE, 3556 mi; NW, 11268 mi;
Bottom row, left to right: ENE, 1313 mi; NE, 3753 mi; SSE, 9 mi

I'm thinking there are now a couple of possibilities to what we should be doing with this:
  1. Use the direction values given to plot the vectors tail-to-tail, as before (ignoring the highlighting)
  2. Use the direction values given to plot the vectors tail-to-tail, beginning with the highlighted one and wrapping around if necessary
  3. Use the direction values given to plot the vectors tail-to-tail, beginning with the highlighted one and ignoring any compasses listed before the highlighted one
  4. Use the direction values given to plot the vectors tail-to-tail, starting at the beginning and ignoring any compasses listed after the highlighted one
  5. Only plot the line generated by the highlighted compass, ignoring the direction vector
  6. Only plot the line generated by the highlighted compass, and only plot it for the exact distance listed
  7. Plot all the compasses except the highlighted one (this idea thanks to Blur)

Edit: Looks like we all have the same compass highlighted. Not sure what that's supposed to signify, or if it's a coincidence due to small sample size.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Finch on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:08 pm

My highlighted compass at the locator shows that they are located 10,887 miles to the west of my current location, Pattonville High School.

I am at a latitude of 38.7, with an ion of -90.5.
Last edited by The Finch on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's my info:

lat: 29.5
lon: -95.1
Compass points (Going from top to bottom, left to right):
1: NE 4703 mi
2: NE 1340 mi
3: NE 4859 mi
4: Highlighted WSW: 10599 mi
5: NE 2567 mi
6: NE 5058 mi
7: NE 1306 mi
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby The Finch on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Pixel just stated in the Chatroom that we should REVERSE the highlighted compass, as it seems to break the path of the other ones.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

PreviousNext

Return to The Cabal