Long John's Phone Number

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Long John's Phone Number

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Gulliver's latest blog points to an echo; someone's going to need to reconstruct the folded text to figure out what it is. (Tohr said in the chatroom that she could do it, but I'm mentioning it here because we should take stuff to the forums.)

Also, apparently Sicon's Wall of Text was tl;dr.
If no one objects, I can try to comment with the Laconic version.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Discussion of Gulliver's letters

Postby Tohrinha on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Gulliver's letter folds into an origami crane.
There are a series of numbers on one of the sides: 0268376
On its neck and tail are 2 and 79, respectively. These are on the same side as the long series.

crane1.JPG
crane1.JPG (99.07 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

crane2.JPG
crane2.JPG (88.31 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

The 79 is hidden by the crane's wing.
Last edited by Tohrinha on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Wait...
Mr. A said that the echoes belong to the character making the post.
We have found all Gulliver's echoes, as Mr. A said.
There's a contradiction, isn't there? :shock:
EDIT: Asked Mr. A.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Blurred_9L on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Dryunya wrote:Wait...
Mr. A said that the echoes belong to the character making the post.
We have found all Gulliver's echoes, as Mr. A said.
There's a contradiction, isn't there? :shock:
EDIT: Asked Mr. A.

Maybe it's not Gulliver's echo, but LJS's?
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:Maybe it's not Gulliver's echo, but LJS's?

Except A's previously said that echoes are always relevant to the character whose post pointed to them-- in this case, Gulliver.
Guess we'd better wait to hear what A says.

Edit: Mr A has confirmed that this echo is for LJS.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:48 pm

I tried calling 202-683-7679 and got the voice mail of Long John Silver.

Will try to get a transctipt of his message to you quickly.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 am

According to eli, calling 202-682-7679 has a parrot answering the voice mail. Interesting...
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:07 am

Pretty sure that's not a Parrot. Unless the Parrot is also named "Long John Silver"
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 am

Here's a transcript, upon calling the number (202-683-7679). Sorry I couldn't make everything out; anyone who wants to help fill in the gaps-- please.

Long John Silver's voicemail wrote:[sounds like: John: get away, get away, let me talk]
John: welcome, you've reached the phone of Long John Silver, certified adventurer, and acquirer of treasure
[sounds like: Gulliver: you mean you're a pirate?]
John: quiet, you!
if you've reached this here voicemail, it means that I'm unable to answer the phone as I'm currently in the midst of another wonderfully amazing escapade. Saving Gulliver, wooing beautiful women, hunting for treasure, or some combination of the three.
Fair warning, I probably won't actually call you back. I'm a busy man, after all, what with keeping Gulliver from making a fool of himself [something indecipherable... booty]
Gulliver: I don't like it here. I think we should go.
John: Go? Nonesense! [something indecipherable...friendly...indecipherable] has such a nice ring to it, don't you think? Actually, it reminds me of this one time in Korea...
Gulliver: John.
John: Calm down! [something indecipherable...] get to you, they'll have to get to the greatest pirate in the world.
Gulliver: John, I thought you said you were an adventurer and acquirer of treasure.
John: Semantics.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:16 am

Double-posting because it's important people see this:
NOBODY LEAVE JOHN A VOICEMAIL.
Unlike the other character phones, this one's mailbox is not yet full; we MAY be expected to leave him a message asking for more information about the echo we're supposed to locate. Until that becomes clear-- and if it is the case, until we have agreed on a unified message to send and someone specific to send it-- we don't want to lock ourselves out of the loop by filling the mailbox ourselves with junk.

ALSO: if any mod sees this, can you please split off the part of this discussion revolving around John's phone number into a separate thread? I think it should be separate.

Edit: Apparently a Metaguard already left some prank messages before I posted my warning. This means that our margin for error is even SLIMMER. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE until we are all agreed on what that message is, and who is to leave it.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Long John's Phone Number

Postby EdwardTheAwesome on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 am

Alright, I had a bit of trouble with it (no idea why, I've done this before -- I guess I'm just tired) but I split the phone discussion from the rest.

Seems like this message was made on location. Would explain all the background noise.
EdwardTheAwesome
Site Admin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 am

EdwardTheAwesome wrote:Alright, I had a bit of trouble with it (no idea why, I've done this before -- I guess I'm just tired) but I split the phone discussion from the rest.

Seems like this message was made on location. Would explain all the background noise.

Thanks so much, Ed.

Also, that's an intriguing idea about the message being made on location-- maybe that's the location of the echo we're supposed to find?
If anyone can figure out location/context from the background noise, that's probably... REALLY necessary right now.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:23 am

Okay, I gave the number a call. That pirate accent is hard to understand. What I have decided is that the background noise is unimportant (Sorry Edward). All the noise seems to tell us is that it's a crowded place. However, there was a moment where I'm pretty sure Silver said the name of the place. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand it. It was right after Gulliver says they should live, and Silver says "Nonsense, (Something something) family friendly. The Old (Something) House. Has a nice ring to it." I'm pretty sure if someone could get through his thick pirate-y accent, we can figure this out. Now to me, it sounded something like Old Condom House or Old Concept House. None of those searches give me anything useful in google. So, I'll give it another listen in the morning and see if I can discern what he says with a fresher mind, but others are welcome to try it.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sophira on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 am

I called and recorded it via Skype like I did with the therapist: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4IvvY ... U5yZnVEMXc
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 am

I had a friend once who had a horrible lisp. It's way better now, but he used to sound like he was talking a whole different language. This is nothing.

John: Get away, get away, let me talk!
John: Welcome, you've reached the phone of Long John Silver, certified adventurer, and acquirer of treasure.
Gulliver: You mean you're a pirate?
John: Quiet, you!
John: If you've reached this here voicemail, it means that I'm unable to answer the phone as I'm currently in the midst of another wonderfully amazing escapade. Saving Gulliver, wooing beautiful women, hunting for treasure, or some combination of the three.
Fair warning, I probably won't actually call you back. I'm a busy man, after all, what with keeping Gulliver from making a fool of himself and keeping me eyes peeled for booty...
Gulliver: I don't like it here. I think we should go.
John: Go? Nonesense! The brochure said family friendly! The Old Customs House! Has such a nice ring to it, don't you think? Actually, it reminds me of this one time in Korea...
Gulliver: John.
John: Calm down! If anybody tries to get to you, they'll have to get to the greatest pirate in the world.
Gulliver: John, I thought you said you were an adventurer and acquirer of treasure.
John: Semantics.
Last edited by Sicon112 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 am

This place looks promising. Have a look: http://theoldcustomshouse.com/
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 am

I, Wacky and a couple of others did some digging, and Wacky finally uncovered this place.

Website is here: http://theoldcustomshouse.com/ Describes the place as a family friendly pub.

Go Wacky!
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 am

So, is this our place?
Making a new thread now.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 am

Gotta say, I find their association with each other kind of adorable, in a very peculiar way. They're like an odd couple. They could be a sitcom.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

They could, and they should. I'd watch it every week.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Scarab on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:They could, and they should. I'd watch it every week.

There's a script in there somewhere and in the interests of my future therapy bills, I am quite determined NOT to write it.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver