locator.pheeble.net

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: locator.pheeble.net

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I know... It's just that this is making me dizzy. I'm taking off for now. I need to be calm if I'm to be useful at all. :(
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Victin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Mine's here. Before and after update.
Attachments
Locator2.JPG
After
Locator2.JPG (50.69 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Locator.JPG
Before
Locator.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Ok. My progress.
  1. Giving us distances removes the unnecessary stuff on the map, but doesn't help that much. We'll still get
    7 very approximate points at best (if we stay by my current approach, that is). I have no further course.
  2. Plotting end-to-end doesn't help. I tried for Adell and Pixelmage, and ended in 2 vastly different locations.
  3. Going NNE and then NNW for the same distance on a round map somehow makes you end up at where you started. Geography is weird.
  4. So far, I've managed to only trim my own lines. All the others that I've managed to plot so far didn't post updates with the distances, so I have to start over with the new points. :x
  5. Screw This I'm Outta Here. Gotta sleep (again). This is frustrating as hell. Here is my Google Earth data, go on without me, make daddy proud. :evil:

Final thought: to pull this off without collateral damage, we need to find a globe soft that enables collaboration. Google maps allow this, but Google Earth doesn't. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I just don't want to spend another whole day on this. I got stuff to do. Good night.
I hate my life.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby OneSteve on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Pixelmage wrote:#MadMadMad thought from me. But I'm pissed off right now at this senseless map, so...

:idea: What if the compasses are actually formulae?

Let me illustrate: Assume Lat/Long values are 10/25 and my compasses are N N N S S S N.
IF the compasses are operation codes for a formula, say, N means Double the Coordinates and S means Halve them.
I would double the values 3 times, then halve them 3 times and lastly double them again end result being the target coordinates
20/50.

He have a set of starting coordinates and bearing parameters to feed the function. We can also safely assume there's only 1 end point, therefore, If we can define the function that takes all that input and returns a single consistent point, he have our target.

It's math intensive as hell. And won't work if my theory is wrong. I have no idea what to make of the highlighted compass. And overall what I'm saying is to reverse-engineer the fucking source code without a clue as to how it works...

On the mapping front: reverse the bearing of the highlighted compass and plot it, and it alone. That's all I can think of after messing with the google map.

You may have something here-- and building on your ideas, I can suggest WHY they thought it was solvable before.
Maybe whatever we're supposed to interpret the compass directions as should GIVE us, for each step, the number below that compass that's masquerading as a distance value.
And as for the highlighted one-- well, it looks like they're all the longest distances. Maybe it's a checksum?
Just a thought. Back to lurking, now.
I have just broken the One Qara Limit!
OneSteve

Postby JRPictures on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 am

Here's my updated one:
Attachments
Pheeble Locator JR.png
Pheeble Locator JR.png (119.74 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby eyebones on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:01 am

What is 2047 miles west of Sydney? Almost has to be Perth, right? Let's check to see if the distance to Perth is the same for other people. On a great circle path, that is. If it is Perth, then we just have to figure out the connection between Perth and Peter Pan.

Looks ~right for Victin's co-ords.
eyebones

Postby JRPictures on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 am

eyebones wrote:What is 2047 miles west of Sydney? Almost has to be Perth, right? Let's check to see if the distance to Perth is the same for other people. On a great circle path, that is. If it is Perth, then we just have to figure out the connection between Perth and Peter Pan.

Looks ~right for Victin's co-ords.

Well then, I'm no longer of help if it means I need to go to Perth. Which I obviously don't. :lol:
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Enlil on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:13 am

OK, I think I made some major progress with this. First of all, if any of you would like to confirm these findings, I used the Manual Geolocation extension for Chrome found at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bamcagfhlo

First of all, the compasses work as one would expect. This is to say that each one points to a specific (and different) point on the earth. With some fiddling (and then some educated guesses after I spotted the pattern), I was able to find the location each points to within a range of 0 to 3 miles. So here are the coordinates each compass points to, plus a nearby landmark:

Top Center: 53.4 , -2.9 (Sefton Park, Liverpool, United Kingdom)
Mid Left: 39.9, -75.1 (Johnson Park, Camden, New Jersey, United States)
Mid Center: 51.5, -0.2 (Kensington Gardens, London, United Kingdom)
Mid Right: -32.0, 115.9 (Queens Garden, Perth, Western Australia)
Lower Left: 47.5, -52.9 (Bowring Park, Newfoundland, Canada)
Lower Center: 47.5, -52.9 (Egmont Park, Brussels, Belgium)
Lower Right: 43.7, -79.4 (Glenn Gould Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

And what do these places have in common? Well, according to Wikipedia's entry on Peter Pan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan), each of these cities has one of the seven Peter Pan statues made from the mould of the Kensington Gardens one. This is too perfect for it to be a coincidence and it also relates to the "silent music" riddle. The question is now what are we supposed to do with these statues? Furthermore, why is the Perth one in gold? Is it more significant than the rest? Hope this helped!
Last edited by Enlil on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enlil
Meta-Knight

Postby Enlil on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:14 am

Also, eyebones: Good job spotting Perth!
Enlil
Meta-Knight

Postby JRPictures on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 am

Enlil wrote:OK, I think I made some major progress with this. First of all, if any of you would like to confirm these findings, I used the Manual Geolocation extension for Chrome found at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bamcagfhlo

First of all, the compasses work as one would expect. This is to say that each one points to a specific (and different) point on the earth. With some fiddling (and then some educated guesses after I spotted the pattern), I was able to find the location each points to within a range of 0 to 3 miles. So here are the coordinates each compass points to, plus a nearby landmark:

Top Center: 53.4 , -2.9 (Sefton Park, Liverpool, United Kingdom)
Mid Left: 39.9, -75.1 (Johnson Park, Camden, New Jersey, United States)
Mid Center: 51.5, -0.2 (Kensington Gardens, London, United Kingdom)
Mid Right: -32.0, 115.9 (Queens Garden, Perth, Western Australia)
Lower Left: 47.5, -52.9 (Bowring Park, Newfoundland, Canada)
Lower Center: 47.5, -52.9 (Egmont Park, Brussels, Belgium)
Lower Right: 43.7, -79.4 (Glenn Gould Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

And what do these places have in common? Well, according to Wikipedia's entry on Peter Pan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan), each of these cities has one of the seven Peter Pan statues made from the mould of the Kensington Gardens one. This is too perfect for it to be a coincidence and it also relates to the "silent music" riddle. The question is now what are we supposed to do with these statues? Furthermore, why is the Perth one in gold? Is it more significant than the rest? Hope this helped!

Holy Crap. GREAT JOB GREAT JOB BRAVO!!!

You get my Respect 8-) And :gurt: LIMES :gurt:
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby eyebones on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 am

Bingo: http://www.publicartaroundtheworld.com/ ... tatue.html

The connection to Peter Pan.

Missed enlil's edit. This is old news. My bet: There are echoes at each of the statues.
eyebones

Postby JRPictures on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 am

eyebones wrote:Bingo: http://www.publicartaroundtheworld.com/ ... tatue.html

The connection to Peter Pan.

Missed enlil's edit. This is old news. My bet: There are echoes at each of the statues.

That would be too complicated to have these echoes there (and even if that's the case. I don't have any chance of flying to Perth.).

There has to be a better reason for why all these locations are there.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:24 am

They are the "soft places". 100%. Maybe we need to tell Pan that we've found them all.

Also, Enlil. You da man. I want to heap you with limes and kill you at the same time.

I think there'll be no objections if I list this as That One Puzzle.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby JRPictures on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 am

Dryunya wrote:They are the "soft places". 100%. Maybe we need to tell Pan that we've found them all.

Also, Enlil. You da man. I want to heap you with limes and kill you at the same time.

I think there'll be no objections if I list this as That One Puzzle.

Nope, no objections from me.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:50 am

I've passed this on to A. And it looks like someone's done the same for Peter.

Commence Broken Base over who is the true Batman: GuestBatman17 or Enlil. (Or you could just be Superman, I guess)
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Finch on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:58 am

Damn.

That's impressive.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Adell on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm

So none of us have really talked about getting these letters as far as I know, but what I do know is one is relatively close to me (Johnson Park, about an hour and half drive). While I can't go for the next few days, sometime around next week I should be able to make the drive over and retrieve the letter found at the statue. I just need to get my gps working first and find some free time. I'll keep you guys posted (unless one of you graps a letter before me)

Edit: Wait, is it a physical letter or a "layar" thing? Cause I don't have a smart phone :< If it's smart phone related I might be SOL
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Adell, there's a thread on this in the echo forum.
The letter requires smartphone. (Maybe you could drag a friend?)
Zup's going to try for the one near him this weekend.
If he can't get it, I'm going to try for the one near me on Tuesday.
If I can't get it, would you be able to go for yours?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Adell wrote:So none of us have really talked about getting these letters as far as I know, but what I do know is one is relatively close to me (Johnson Park, about an hour and half drive). While I can't go for the next few days, sometime around next week I should be able to make the drive over and retrieve the letter found at the statue. I just need to get my gps working first and find some free time. I'll keep you guys posted (unless one of you graps a letter before me)

Edit: Wait, is it a physical letter or a "layar" thing? Cause I don't have a smart phone :< If it's smart phone related I might be SOL

We actually have a thread dedicated to this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=722
Also, yes, it is a layar thing.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

It's supposed to be a Layar thing. Not a physical letter.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Adell on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Adell, there's a thread on this in the echo forum.
The letter requires smartphone. (Maybe you could drag a friend?)
Zup's going to try for the one near him this weekend.
If he can't get it, I'm going to try for the one near me on Tuesday.
If I can't get it, would you be able to go for yours?

I'm asking my friends now, depending on answers I could go as early as today or tomorrow.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Previous

Return to The Cabal