[FOUND] Echo Location: The Old Customs House, Portsmouth, UK

"By their very nature they leave behind Echoes, soft spots where their tropeish behavior weakens the boundary between fiction and reality."

[FOUND] Echo Location: The Old Customs House, Portsmouth, UK

Postby Dryunya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 am

This was found through LJS's voicemail intro. No direct confirmation as of yet, but we are pretty sure it's our place.
Google maps, website. Go.

UPD: Confirmed by Mr. A now.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Re: Echo Location: The Old Customs House, Portsmouth, UK

Postby Scarab on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 am

Sigh. Wrong end of the country for me again :(
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Zup on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 am

That's a bit far for me. I really can't afford that train ticket right now.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby The Finch on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:53 am

OOOH, A European Echo!
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Ummmm
Is it possible that we should be looking for a place in Australia?
Because that's where they first landed, acquired phone, and presumably recorded the voicemail message.

When I searched for The Old Customs House Australia, I mostly found historical buildings (a different kind of Customs House from the type we're looking for, I think), but I also found this restaurant, at 399 Queen Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia .

Something to consider, anyway.

Edit: Jossed, see below. I've really got to stop overthinking.
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Victin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm

"WE CAN CONFIRM THAT THE LONG JOHN SILVER ECHO IS LOCATED AT THIS ESTABLISHMENT: http://www.theoldcustomshouse.com/ "
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, if it proves to be difficult to send someone to this location, we could try calling them.

Someone in the country would be best for reasons of international calling fees. The restaurant has a phone number. If someone called and asked a favor of the restaurant staff, we might get someone who works there to collect the Echo for us.

It might be a bit of work convincing someone to do this over the phone, especially since this is a business and it would be preferable not to bug them too much. I'd wait a while and only do this if it looks like nobody can go there to pick it up.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 pm

As a Briton, I'll give them a week. Then they'l get a phone call they never forget.l
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Well, if we are going to be lazy, why don't we use a civilized approach?
I mean this: oldcustomshouse[at]fullers.co.uk
:gurt:

If we use email, we could post links directly to instructions and the situation. We would need to stress the fact that it wouldn't take them too long. Just phrase that as a personal favor. If there is anyone who is willing to negotiate, it could save us a ton of time (and probably recruit someone to our cause ;) ).
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Good point. It would be easier to explain over email. It also takes the pressure off our British metaguards, because any of us could send an email.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 pm

So... anyone up to the task?
If not, I'll do it tomorrow evening (your morning). Not right now, though. Not in the mood.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm

I could do it, if you like, if the Brits have no luck getting it in person.

Edit: How's this?

Dear Sir or Madam,
I'm actually writing with-- well, a bit of an odd request, but it's something that's very little trouble for you and would mean a great deal to me.
I'm involved an online game which requires finding and scanning certain locations in the real world; one of these special locations has just been announced to be located at your establishment.
Unfortunately, no one involved in my game lives near enough or knows anyone living near enough to retrieve the information ourselves. I would feel greatly indebted to you (and my friends and I will be sure to recommend this restaurant should we know anyone ever passing through the area, naturally), if you or another restaurant employee would be able to scan the information for us.

The process is simple: download the free "layar" application on a smartphone (http://www.layar.com/) and select the "Echo" layar with which to scan the area (this one: http://www.layar.com/layers/echo/. Then simply press the silver pushpin which will appear (it should look something like this: https://twitter.com/GuestUser17/status/260867154109403137/photo/1/large), enter the password "Gurt" when it asks for a password, and email me the url that it redirects you to.

If you cannot do this, my friends and I understand.

Thanking you in advance,
Qara-Xuan
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby H22 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Smartphone or tablet, of course.'Playing' maybe has a negative connotation -'involved in'
Could you make more of the honour of being selected for an echo :gurt: ? Also, if one of them likes literature, you could mention that.
But that's just nitpicking in an excellent letter.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Ok, I derped at the attempt to write my own letter. Whatever, your works fine. I would leave a link to the forum, though (not the site - it would require some catching up).
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

I sent them the message.
Now to sit back and wait for a reply...

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:44 pm

So... it's been almost a week, and I've gotten no reply. Anyone know anyone in the region who might be able to pick up this echo?

Especially since Silver's accepted my business proposal now, so I should get to work on his refic* if he's going to let us refic Gulliver.

*I'm not suggesting that only I should write his refic, or even that I expect mine to be chosen-- to be honest, his stipulations are probably a little too Sue-ish for it to have what it takes. But if I'm to make good on my deal-- and Demosthenes is nothing if not a man of his word-- then I still have to write the thing, if only as a show of good faith.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So... it's been almost a week, and I've gotten no reply. Anyone know anyone in the region who might be able to pick up this echo?

Especially since Silver's accepted my business proposal now, so I should get to work on his refic* if he's going to let us refic Gulliver.

*I'm not suggesting that only I should write his refic, or even that I expect mine to be chosen-- to be honest, his stipulations are probably a little too Sue-ish for it to have what it takes. But if I'm to make good on my deal-- and Demosthenes is nothing if not a man of his word-- then I still have to write the thing, if only as a show of good faith.

See my post here for a suggestion on how to sort of sidestep the Sue-ness implicit in this plan. Not that you should do exactly that or anything. It's just one way of many to avoid the issue.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am

So... Silver just nudged me on our deal. And I told him straight out that I can't progress without this echo. ...ANYBODY know anyone nearby? I'd hate to lose my whole LJS gambit For Want of an Echo.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So... Silver just nudged me on our deal. And I told him straight out that I can't progress without this echo. ...ANYBODY know anyone nearby? I'd hate to lose my whole LJS gambit For Want of an Echo.

Sorry, Qara I'm at completely the other end of the country and there's nobody I can ask. (Meta: Damn I wish they'd been able to check locations a bit when they decided where to send the fictionals, they could've tried to put it closer to... well, ANY of us. I know that's not such a great idea in terms of making sure people's invovlement is random, and may seem to favour some over others., but at least it would guarantee us getting an echo.)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Bump
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 am

So A's been getting very irritable about our extant echoes, and when the chatroom re-floated the idea of Craigslist as an option, Agora suggested we try with just one first on Craigslist to see how it goes.

Can I request we do this one first? Because I'm not sure the Gulliver refic will go through if Silver doesn't think I'm serious about my plan for him, and I can't go through with THAT without his echo.

So... thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone know how to go about placing a craigslist ad for this, and how the heck we make it worth their while to do for us?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So A's been getting very irritable about our extant echoes, and when the chatroom re-floated the idea of Craigslist as an option, Agora suggested we try with just one first on Craigslist to see how it goes.

Can I request we do this one first? Because I'm not sure the Gulliver refic will go through if Silver doesn't think I'm serious about my plan for him, and I can't go through with THAT without his echo.

So... thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone know how to go about placing a craigslist ad for this, and how the heck we make it worth their while to do for us?

I agree with Qara, this one is proving annoyingly fiddly to get to and our only London located Metaknight is too lbogged down with work to have a chance of helping.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 am

Okay in a desperate bid it turns out I have an uncle (well a second cousin) in Portsmouth. I've gotten my dad to contact him on facebook to see whether or not he might be able to do this. It's really a long shot, I've no idea if he'd even have a smart phone, but hey, we're getting desperate.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:00 pm

And we have action! 8-)

The uncle in portsmouth who I really wasn't sure was able to get there? He's going to TRY and make it this saturday! Just waiting to see if he texts me back.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Yes!
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Next

Return to Echoes