Discussion of Gulliver's letters

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Discussion of Gulliver's letters

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:And speaking of jerk moves, what's with Silver's Blatant Lies to Gulliver that no one's commenting? What's he playing at? Is he trolling Gulliver? Has Morgana gotten to him?

Am I missing something? What Blatant Lies? :|

And, on the previous owner being Morgana. I'd say it's unlikely. She would have to buy an antique wardrobe, sell it to that lady and wait for Gulliver to come by. Seems too complicated.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:42 am

Dryunya wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:And speaking of jerk moves, what's with Silver's Blatant Lies to Gulliver that no one's commenting? What's he playing at? Is he trolling Gulliver? Has Morgana gotten to him?

Am I missing something? What Blatant Lies? :|

And, on the previous owner being Morgana. I'd say it's unlikely. She would have to buy an antique wardrobe, sell it to that lady and wait for Gulliver to come by. Seems too complicated.

Blatant Lies-- he told Gulliver that no one's reading his blog. Wacky and I both commented on the last blog post.

And as for Morgan, she doesn't need to do all that, Dryu. Just get the young man to ask, and WHATEVER the lady said, he'd have said she's his aunt. You notice he conveniently couldn't get through to her on phone, and went to visit his aunt in person. There is no evidence that the person he's visiting is either the ACTUAL previous owner of the wardrobe, OR his actual aunt.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 am

Don't get it, but whatever.

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Blatant Lies-- he told Gulliver that no one's reading his blog. Wacky and I both commented on the last blog post.

He told him that there was a Wall Of Text he didn't want to bother reading (yes, that was Sicon's post). And he doesn't really receive many comments lately. I'd say it's justified, and John didn't lie.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 am

Dryuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu there's a NEW POST. SINCE that one.
And Gulliver said that John said that NOBODY'S reading his blog posts anymore.
= Blatant Lies.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am

I left a comment on Gulliver's blog, telling him that we are, in fact, reading his posts, and discussing them, at that. I also told Long John Silver to make sure Gulliver hears the post, and to check his voicemail.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I left a comment on Gulliver's blog, telling him that we are, in fact, reading his posts, and discussing them, at that. I also told Long John Silver to make sure Gulliver hears the post, and to check his voicemail.

Why? What's on his voicemail.

Also, not every suspicious female in this game is going to be Morganna. I thought Morganna was confirmed to be in America. Would she really fly all the way to England to pull off this ruse?

I am also quite upset that we have this roadblock in reficking Gulliver in the form of Silver. I'm thinking that as soon as Silver figured out that we're trying to send Gulliver away from him, that Silver decided to do everything in his power to keep Gulliver away from this knowledge. It's both selfish and sweet of Silver. He doesn't want to lose his friend. But I think we're going to have to fight this battle through Silver. We must convince Silver that we're trying to do what's best for Gulliver and that he should trust us and let us return him home.

Either that, or this is the GMs way of telling us that we're not ready to refick Gulliver yet. After all, it does look like he's in the middle of a storyline. Quite literally. What happened to the next page? Did Silver decide not to post it to keep US out of the loop?
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 am

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I left a comment on Gulliver's blog, telling him that we are, in fact, reading his posts, and discussing them, at that. I also told Long John Silver to make sure Gulliver hears the post, and to check his voicemail.

Why? What's on his voicemail.

Also, not every suspicious female in this game is going to be Morganna. I thought Morganna was confirmed to be in America. Would she really fly all the way to England to pull off this ruse?

I am also quite upset that we have this roadblock in reficking Gulliver in the form of Silver. I'm thinking that as soon as Silver figured out that we're trying to send Gulliver away from him, that Silver decided to do everything in his power to keep Gulliver away from this knowledge. It's both selfish and sweet of Silver. He doesn't want to lose his friend. But I think we're going to have to fight this battle through Silver. We must convince Silver that we're trying to do what's best for Gulliver and that he should trust us and let us return him home.

Either that, or this is the GMs way of telling us that we're not ready to refick Gulliver yet. After all, it does look like he's in the middle of a storyline. Quite literally. What happened to the next page? Did Silver decide not to post it to keep US out of the loop?

Well, OK, looks like someone figured out what was going on before I got here. Yeah, I think Silver is just trying to keep us away from Gulliver so we can't refic him. I dunno what was with that last page though...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Why? You didn't leave him a voicemail, did you? *facepalm*
What part of "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE LEAVE A MESSAGE BEFORE FURTHER DISCUSSION WITH FELLOW METAGUARDS" did I not make clear?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:15 pm

I've sent LJS a tweet, asking him to let us help Gulliver. It's already been shown that responding to Gulliver's blogs is pointless, as Gulliver will never see them and Silver may refuse to read them, and may not even reply. Silver's much more likely to reply to his twitter, so all direct messages to Silver should probably go there. We should probably continue commenting on Gulliver's blogs, regardless, because not commenting on his blogs may give Silver some ammunition to convince Gulliver that we really have stopped reading his blog. But I think that in addition to commenting on the blog, we should refocus our efforts on sending direct messages to Silver on his twitter, perhaps pressuring him into sending our messages over to Gulliver. We (all of us with twitter) should all be spamming Silver with tweets. He may be able to ignore one of us, but there's no way he can ignore all of us.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby H22 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Clearly it was the 'UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LEAVE A MESSAGE' bit. Spamming LJS might just make him more annoyed, and stop him replying. We should ride this out before we start shouting at him (I seem to end up saying that all the time). Just DON'T leave a message, at least until we've handled the echo situation.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:

What part of "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE LEAVE A MESSAGE BEFORE FURTHER DISCUSSION WITH FELLOW METAGUARDS" did I not make clear?

I didn't! I thought he could clear out the spam messages, sent by OTHERS, by checking his voicemail. That was all! I'm not foolish enough to intentionally disobey the orders of a senior officer!
Last edited by Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby EdwardTheAwesome on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:

Qara, this hasn't yet reached the point of a Rule 3 violation, but it's getting close. Making a big stink about the actions of other agents can hurt our ability to try new things.
EdwardTheAwesome
Site Admin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm

New Gulliver Blog

It finishes the story from the last one.

The chess player is clearly Moriarty. He asks about the aunt's tenant, which I'm guessing must be Poirot, who mentioned living with an elderly woman in England, hadn't he?

I have no guesses as to the significance of the wardrobe or the knob, or why the young man thought any of this is important. But I'm guessing we're not done with Gulliver.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 pm

So Gulliver's updated again, with a continuation of the last blog post.

The aunt got the wardrobe from a man who played chess with her, and won by moving his knight to E4.
--> jmartysknight2e4
--> that man is Moriarty.

Moriarty became interested in that woman after inquiring about her tenant.
--> Poirot had been a tenant of Mrs. Widdicombe
--> the aunt is Widdicombe

The young man is Widdicombe's nephew
--> Poirot got into an altercation with Widdicombe's nephew, James Raikes, who also ended up "roommates" with Holmes for a while
--> the young man is James Raikes.

Now the only question is, what's the deal with the wardrobe, and what's Raikes' interest-- why was he so excited by this information?
Did he hurry off to share the news with Moriarty, or with Holmes? (figuratively speaking)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:39 am

I don't really have anything to add to your conclusions. All that remains are speculations.
Perhaps Raikes became aware of the situation after dealing with Holmes, and has been following us (or at least his blog - that would definitely make sense). Knowing that Moriarty was around, he saw something in that knob that pointed to him (insignia, or something), and wanted to make sure.
Anyway, I think we should ask Holmes if he had any contact with James after he went on the run.

P.S. His blog is still locked. I checked.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 am

Ok, after a talk with Qara I was going to ask Holmes what I intended to, when one thing stopped me:
Claire Widdecombe is supposed to live in London. I checked Gulliver's posts - they stopped at Nottinghamshire, went to the nearest library, and after that, maybe a day or two passed. They couldn't cross half a freaking country that fast without any money (not to mention that they didn't have a reason to go to London).
That kind of undermines our theory. All of our conclusions are based on the fact that that chess guy was Moriarty, and it's only backed by a coincidence and trope sense. No direct deduction. Holmes would laugh in our face. :(
And, really, the picture just suddenly stopped making sense.
Dryunya

Postby Greyscale on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 am

When have they had reason for any of their moves? Seems to me they are just wandering the earth. Just sayin.
Greyscale

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am

To answer one of our questions, Dryu, LJS confirmed that they're still in London.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 am

Oh. Ok then. I'll ask Holmes.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Dryunya wrote:Ok, after a talk with Qara I was going to ask Holmes what I intended to, when one thing stopped me:
Claire Widdecombe is supposed to live in London. I checked Gulliver's posts - they stopped at Nottinghamshire, went to the nearest library, and after that, maybe a day or two passed. They couldn't cross half a freaking country that fast without any money (not to mention that they didn't have a reason to go to London).
That kind of undermines our theory. All of our conclusions are based on the fact that that chess guy was Moriarty, and it's only backed by a coincidence and trope sense. No direct deduction. Holmes would laugh in our face. :(
And, really, the picture just suddenly stopped making sense.

Dryu, I can tell you it wouldn't take that much effort to get to London. John's a pirate, they could easily have dodged tickets on a train (an incredibly common thing) or hitchhiked. If you're in Britain, and you've got depressed because your home's disappeared, it would be perfectly logical to go to the largest city in Europe. I knew someone who could get from Cambridge to London in 90 minutes (OK, it involved chronic breakings of traffic laws potentially resulting in about a lifetime in prison, but the point remains.)
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Since this line of conversation is pretty much over, I'd like to point out that LJS is getting increasingly protective when it comes to Gulliver. I think that he really could have lied to him about the lack of readers after all.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Dryunya wrote:Since this line of conversation is pretty much over, I'd like to point out that LJS is getting increasingly protective when it comes to Gulliver. I think that he really could have lied to him about the lack of readers after all.

You think maybe Silver is trying to shield Gulliver from our comments, for some reason?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Perhaps Silver thinks Gulliver can't handle the revelation that he is, in fact, fictional.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Scarab on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Perhaps Silver thinks Gulliver can't handle the revelation that he is, in fact, fictional.

He certainly does seem very fond of the guy, and might very well want to keep that from him for that reason. I wonder why that is, exactly... shared experiences or something, I expect,
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:31 pm

I get the impression that we need to stop coming at this with the goal of convincing Silver that telling Gulliver he's fictional and sending him home is a good idea, and more with the goal of convincing Silver that we care about both of them and just want to have an open dialog as friends.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver