Discussion of Gulliver's letters

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Discussion of Gulliver's letters

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:28 pm

I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm

I already suggested this, and I'm already trying to engage him on his twitter. I'm going to try to make him realize that we can help Gulliver and that allowing us to help will be the best thing for Gulliver. I could use some help. If we can convince Silver that we have good intentions and have the ability to give Gulliver, as well as him self, what they need, then maybe he'll let us help them.

My only concern is that Silver may not want to be returned, since we've got no indications from any of his communications that he dislikes this place or misses his former home. He seems like the kind of guy not to be attached to any location, and thus being here is as good to him as being where he came from, and in fact, there's more indication that he likes it here. I don't know what to do about this, but if we can get him talking about it, maybe we can figure out a solution.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Having just re-read Treasure Island, I don't quite buy it.
Above all else, Silver is a Manipulative Bastard who will double-cross ANYONE if it means a better deal for himself.

So I've taken a new tack with him. ...not quite sure what I'll suggest if he takes my bait, of course, but the ideas are forming. And if nothing else, I know where I can find a better Manipulative Bastard to throw at him. (not literally. that would be weird.)
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:10 am

Qara, you sound exactly like Sicon lately. :?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:39 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:

Having just re-read Treasure Island, I don't quite buy it.
Above all else, Silver is a Manipulative Bastard who will double-cross ANYONE if it means a better deal for himself.

So I've taken a new tack with him. ...not quite sure what I'll suggest if he takes my bait, of course, but the ideas are forming. And if nothing else, I know where I can find a better Manipulative Bastard to throw at him. (not literally. that would be weird.)

I dunno, Qara, normally I'd be all over agreeing with you on this front (he's a total ass in the books) but... we've already seen this world changing people. Romeo, the Witch, Adam... they're none of them doing Face Heel Turns or anything, but it'scertainly given them a wider perspective. Maybe REAL life behaviours have started seeping into them, just as their narrative tropes and behaviours have been seeping into our world. Anyway, even Silver had his Morality Pet in Jim, maybe Gulliver is playing a similar role...

And LJS's answers to a few of my tweets have been... odd, to say the least.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 am

Jim was NOT Silver's Morality Pet, and he even had an Epiphany Moment in the book where he realized that-- he realized that Silver was just very skilled at making a number of people THINK that various different people were his Morality Pets. Jim was well aware that Silver would have killed him in a heartbeat if it would have spelled greater profit that way.

And all of Silver's answers about Gulliver just point to the idea that he's playing us, and playing Gulliver. So maybe we should even the playing field a little, and play HIM. If we let him believe that there's more profit for him in leaving Gulliver to us (hey, it's even TRUE-- we could give him infinitely great profit in his refic, but only if he works with us), then he'll do so. (Of course, if the Cabal make him think there's more profit in selling us out, he'll also do so, and he'll probably make a deal with both us and them at the same time, keeping himself in a position where he could sell out any of us, the Cabal, and Gulliver at any moment. So we need to make sure that we're not the ones he's ultimately able to sell out.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Victin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Jim was NOT Silver's Morality Pet, and he even had an Epiphany Moment in the book where he realized that-- he realized that Silver was just very skilled at making a number of people THINK that various different people were his Morality Pets. Jim was well aware that Silver would have killed him in a heartbeat if it would have spelled greater profit that way.

And all of Silver's answers about Gulliver just point to the idea that he's playing us, and playing Gulliver. So maybe we should even the playing field a little, and play HIM. If we let him believe that there's more profit for him in leaving Gulliver to us (hey, it's even TRUE-- we could give him infinitely great profit in his refic, but only if he works with us), then he'll do so. (Of course, if the Cabal make him think there's more profit in selling us out, he'll also do so, and he'll probably make a deal with both us and them at the same time, keeping himself in a position where he could sell out any of us, the Cabal, and Gulliver at any moment. So we need to make sure that we're not the ones he's ultimately able to sell out.)

So we must make a Gambit Pileup?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:59 am

Victin wrote:So we must make a Gambit Pileup?

Silver lives on Gambit Pileups. So we just have to make sure that we know that he's making one, and make sure that we OutGambit him by the end.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:09 pm

So... Sicon? :D
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 pm

I have a plan, but it's too secret for the forums. Come, come, come, to the chatroom...
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Silver is NOT a stablished reader on the forums.
Do NOT take planning to the chatroom all the time people.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:32 pm

The only thing I want the chatroom for here is drafting a message to send Silver in real-time, because it's just simpler to do that when all the collaborating people are online (but not right now... later). Secret plans should be posted on the forums, not taken to the chatroom, unless there's a GOOD reason for the paranoia.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 pm

I've said that several times already, but this is my response.
And now, back on topic.
Dryunya

Postby Mr. Administrator on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:18 pm

IT APPEARS THAT LONG JOHN SILVER HAS DECIDED TO OBSTRUCT THE REFICTIONALIZATION PROCESS FOR GULLIVER. THE PIRATES' MOTIVATIONS ARE UNKNOWN, BUT HIS BACKGROUND IS CERTAINLY SUSPECT. WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A WAY AROUND HIS INTERFERENCE.

FOR NOW, WORK ON THE ACTUAL STORIES FOR GULLIVER SHOULD BEGIN. WHEN WE FIND A WAY TO BYPASS LONG JOHN SILVER, WE WILL WANT TO BE PREPARED.
Mr. Administrator

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 pm

So, do you confirm that we must find a way to make a character hear his story for the refic to happen? Because that limits our options when it comes to the Cabal.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm getting on this, guys. Maybe if I can make Silver a... better offer, he'll let us get on with it.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Mr. Administrator on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

CHARACTERS MUST BE EXPOSED TO THEIR STORY. WE HAVE TO EXECUTE A BYPASS FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO SEE OR HEAR THEM. THIS PROCESS HAS MANY RISKS, WHICH IS WHY WE ARE RELUCTANT TO DO IT BUT ON THE STRONGEST OF CANDIDATES.

AS FOR THE CABAL, WE WILL FIND A WAY. WE HAVE MANY AGENTS. THE CABAL CAN NOT ESCAPE.
Mr. Administrator

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I'm getting on this, guys. Maybe if I can make Silver a... better offer, he'll let us get on with it.

It works! Nice move, Qara! :D

Also, thanks for the confirmation, Mr. A. I'll overlook the fact that I asked this question ages ago. г_г
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I'm getting on this, guys. Maybe if I can make Silver a... better offer, he'll let us get on with it.

It works! Nice move, Qara! :D

Also, thanks for the confirmation, Mr. A. I'll overlook the fact that I asked this question ages ago. г_г

Better be careful. Assuming this works, and the trick is successful we'll have a pissed off Long John Silver baying for our blood... and nothing to stop him from going to people with simialr qualms against us... like the Cabal.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Our advantage is that our promises are actually honest. It would be hard to disprove them. LJS may refuse to trust us, but that's a different matter.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 pm

asked Mister A what the state of the research on reficcing characters together (as in crossovers) was. he said this.

Mister A wrote:@GlyphSun CONTACT US AGAIN WHEN IT IS RELEVANT TO A PARTICULAR SET OF CHARACTERS AND WE WILL REVEAL THE STATE OF OUR RESEARCH.

So then... do we need to ask about Gulliver and Silver?
Scarab

Postby H22 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:14 am

Scarab wrote:asked Mister A what the state of the research on reficcing characters together (as in crossovers) was. he said this.

Mister A wrote:@GlyphSun CONTACT US AGAIN WHEN IT IS RELEVANT TO A PARTICULAR SET OF CHARACTERS AND WE WILL REVEAL THE STATE OF OUR RESEARCH.

So then... do we need to ask about Gulliver and Silver?

I'm sure Mr. A said on the refictionalise quiz over here that only applied to R+J.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:42 am

So it looks like they're headed off somewhere new.

I'm guessing North America, for meta reasons-- that's where all the other fictionals are, not to mention a higher concentration of Metaguards, which means any new echoes will presumably be more easily retrieved than the Portsmouth one.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So it looks like they're headed off somewhere new.

I'm guessing North America, for meta reasons-- that's where all the other fictionals are, not to mention a higher concentration of Metaguards, which means any new echoes will presumably be more easily retrieved than the Portsmouth one.

Oh, they are heading somewhere new alright. A land with lots of treasure just as LJS asked for. That's what he is referring to, as far as I can tell. He is waiting to be sent back.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Not Your Sayu-chan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 am

what gives his blog is totally dead
did he finally give up

i kind of miss making fun of him
Not Your Sayu-chan

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver