FURTHER RESEARCH - CROSSOVERS

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

FURTHER RESEARCH - CROSSOVERS

Postby Mr. Administrator on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 pm

MANY REQUESTS FOR RESEARCH WERE ADDRESSED TO US IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS. NONE CAME WITH GRANT MONEY, BUT WE OBLIGED NEVERTHELESS.

OUR RESEARCH ON CROSSOVERS HAS YIELDED THE FOLLOWING CONCLUSIONS.

A CROSSOVER UNIVERSE IS A NEW UNIVERSE. CREATING ONE FOR GULLIVER AND LONG JOHN, FOR EXAMPLE, WOULD SPIN OFF NEW INSTANCES OF THOSE CHARACTERS, NOT REFICTIONALIZE THE ONES WHO ARE HERE. THEREFORE, A SHARED WORLD IS RULED OUT.

A WORLD WITH A BRIDGE TO ANOTHER WORLD IS ALSO TOO UNSTABLE. ANYTHING LARGE ENOUGH FOR A PERSON TO PASS THROUGH SUBSTANTIALLY DAMAGES THE STABILITY OF THE METAVERSE. IT IS TOO MUCH TO RISK.

HOWEVER, IF THE CONNECTION IS SMALL ENOUGH THAT, SAY, ONLY EMR SIGNALS MAY PASS THROUGH IT, THERE ARE FEWER RISKS. UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES, THIS MIGHT ALLOW FOR A SORT OF TRANS-STORY TELEGRAPH. THE TECHNOLOGY EMPLOYED WOULD NEED TO BE JUSTIFIABLE IN THE WORLD OF EACH CHARACTER.

HOWEVER, THESE "RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES" ARE EXTREMELY DEMANDING. THE STORY WOULD HAVE TO BE OF UNIMPEACHABLE QUALITY TO BE A MORE STABLE OPTION THAN A STORY WHICH DOES NOT INVOLVE ANY CONNECTION.

SIMPLY PUT--IF IT DOES NOT MAKE US LAUGH OR CRY, AND IT INVOLVES A CONNECTION, IT IS UNLIKELY TO BE ACCEPTABLE. AS ALWAYS, THE QUALITY OF THE STORY IS PARAMOUNT.

WE CAUTION YOU TO RESERVE OPPORTUNITIES FOR COMMUNICATION ONLY FOR EXTREME CASES.

END POST.
Mr. Administrator

Re: FURTHER RESEARCH - CROSSOVERS

Postby Dryunya on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Mr. Administrator wrote:SIMPLY PUT--IF IT DOES NOT MAKE US LAUGH OR CRY, AND IT INVOLVES A CONNECTION, IT IS UNLIKELY TO BE ACCEPTABLE. AS ALWAYS, THE QUALITY OF THE STORY IS PARAMOUNT.

Uh...
We need to make Mr. Administrator cry? :shock:

Bonsus points for those who know the source. <_<
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Or laugh.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am

But yeah. Thanks for the info, Mr. A.

I feel like an ass for making a promise to LJS I won't be able to keep. :cry:
(Even though I technically didn't make a promise... But you know. :( )
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:22 am

Morgan did say that if Long John Silver could somehow contact Gulliver, that could be helpful. I say we try to make it happen.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 am

Perhaps it ought to be done in the same way that LJS first contacted us: Messages in Bottles.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:51 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Morgan did say that if Long John Silver could somehow contact Gulliver, that could be helpful. I say we try to make it happen.

Butbutbut how can it be helpful, if their universes don't interconnect?
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Dryunya wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:Morgan did say that if Long John Silver could somehow contact Gulliver, that could be helpful. I say we try to make it happen.

I think just by providing some closure to Silver, letting him say goodbye to his friend.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Mr. Administrator wrote:MANY REQUESTS FOR RESEARCH WERE ADDRESSED TO US IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS. NONE CAME WITH GRANT MONEY, BUT WE OBLIGED NEVERTHELESS.

OUR RESEARCH ON CROSSOVERS HAS YIELDED THE FOLLOWING.

END POST.

Do you ever get grant money? How is higher education in the metaverse?
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
Dryunya wrote:

I think just by providing some closure to Silver, letting him say goodbye to his friend.

Well we had ideas for that originally, right? I seem to recall one possible variation of the reficitonalisation stories was to provide the characters with the ability to send a single, last message back to the real world.

He isn't saying this is impossible, just that it would be HARD. And we've done hard before. :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh oh oh, I had an idea today!
How about crossoves through the Void?
I'll ask him now.

UPD: Nope. Even puppies can't make him change that. :cry:
Dryunya

Return to General Discussion