[FND]Wall piece: 410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Books

"By their very nature they leave behind Echoes, soft spots where their tropeish behavior weakens the boundary between fiction and reality."

Re: Baltimore wall piece

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Okay, so any idea how to figure out the author of the book? There are books on Amazon with the title Off the Top of My Head, but I'm pretty sure none of them are what we're after.

What would happen if we just gave her the name "Mr. Administrator"? I mean, it was him on the cover. Also, if the lady is in on the whole wall falling thing and keeping the pieces safe, that would cue her in that we are in on it too, and would be more trusting to allow us to find the piece.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:Okay, so any idea how to figure out the author of the book? There are books on Amazon with the title Off the Top of My Head, but I'm pretty sure none of them are what we're after.

What would happen if we just gave her the name "Mr. Administrator"? I mean, it was him on the cover. Also, if the lady is in on the whole wall falling thing and keeping the pieces safe, that would cue her in that we are in on it too, and would be more trusting to allow us to find the piece.

Might be worth trying.

Also: I tried searching the Enoch Pratt Library's website, and they don't have any record of that book, which didn't surprise me but I figured it couldn't hurt to look.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Maybe a couple of us should try emailing her on a couple more leads-- i.e., one person asking about Peter Pan, one person asking about Romeo and Juliet, etc. for anything else that might be likely.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 am

My email:
Le me wrote:Hi. I seem to be looking for an especially rare book. I think you know which one I'm talking about.

Hello!

I'm sorry, we've had so many rare books over the past twelve years that saying you are looking for "an especially rare book" doesn't narrow down my search enough for me to be of much help to you. Can you be more specific? A century, perhaps? A publisher? For example, we used to have a few very handsome 18th century hand-printed copies of the King James Bible.

Miranda Auspice
Flamingo Rare Books
flamingorarebooks.wordpress.com

So, as I said, either she's unaware, or she's waiting for a Trust Password.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 am

I would ADORE an 18thC KJB hand-printed. Do you think she could arrange it?
Dryunya wrote:My email:
Le me wrote:Hi. I seem to be looking for an especially rare book. I think you know which one I'm talking about.

Hello!

I'm sorry, we've had so many rare books over the past twelve years that saying you are looking for "an especially rare book" doesn't narrow down my search enough for me to be of much help to you. Can you be more specific? A century, perhaps? A publisher? For example, we used to have a few very handsome 18th century hand-printed copies of the King James Bible.

Miranda Auspice
Flamingo Rare Books
flamingorarebooks.wordpress.com

So, as I said, either she's unaware, or she's waiting for a Trust Password.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:24 am

Okay, I just emailed her.
That's not my name, incidentally, but my fake one.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sunday, 2 December 2012
Subject:
To: flamingorarebooks@gmail.com

Dear Ms. Auspice,
I am a collector of rare, 20th-Century children's books. I heard of your site from a friend and wanted to know whether you happened to have a rare edition of Peter Pan? It seems to be the only edition I have not got!
Yours sincerely, 
Niccolo.

PS My friend also told me you had some rare editions of the Bible - are they still in stock?

PPS I'm a bit worried one of my books might have been stolen. It had immense personal value and had a personal artefact inside. It was called 'Off The Top Of My Head', with a 'Mr. Administrator' on the cover. Has anyone showd odd interest in a book like that?
Sincerely,
Niccolo.
Last edited by H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I took it up a notch, and asked her if anybody brought a book with a QR-code into her store. :gurt:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:39 pm

410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Books.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 pm

H22 wrote:410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Books.

Um... explanation, please? What is the backstory/significance for this address?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Okay, big news. I got a response.

Miranda wrote:I believe we once had copies of both. Let me know which is more to your interest, and I'll let you know their locations.

Sadly, we do not have any stock of our own any more. We've been forced to sell our store and our wares due to lack of public interest. However, we did have several splendid issues of the Bible. I would be able to look up their current locations for you, if you'd like. What version are you looking for? What century? What publisher?

We tried very hard not to sell stolen books. The majority of our books came from public sources - libraries that needed to sell their rare book collections in order to make their own ends meet. And unless your book was stolen over three years ago, which was the last time we were able to afford books from private collectors, I can assure you that we would not have had a book stolen from a private collector in our possession.

The book you have mentioned - Off The Top Of My Head, by M. R. Administrator - was in fact in our possession at one point. I cannot speak as to whether any artifact was inside it, but there has been another collector who has shown interest. I believe there was only one edition ever published, as this is the only copy I have ever seen. It is currently located at Caliban Books at 410 S. Craig St. in Pittsburgh, information I have already disclosed to the other interested party.

Edited to look properly - hope no one minds. ~D
I have no problem with that, Tyrant Dryu.
Last edited by H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Well, ninja'd. I asked her about her physical address just now. :(
When asked about the QR-code, she asked if it's a variation on the Vignere cipher. It's probably unrelated, but I'm posting it here in case it is.

"The other interested party" makes me think we should hurry. :?

UPD: Oh. Heh. Heh. I've just realized that "Off the top of my head" is a pun. :lol:
Dryunya

Re: Baltimore w.p.: 410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Bo

Postby dragonfly on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 pm

</lurk>

You don't think that would have referred to jacktheriffer's interest?

<lurk>
dragonfly
Meta-Knight

Re: Baltimore w.p.: 410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Bo

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Perhaps, but you never know. Morgana may have lied about not getting the pieces personally. :evil:
Dryunya

Re: Wall piece: 410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Books

Postby dragonfly on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm

You could ask? You're already in contact with her, why not send an email asking about the number of people who have contacted her about OtToMH?
dragonfly
Meta-Knight

Postby Victin on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Maybe Ed is the one.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:02 pm

dragonfly wrote:You could ask? You're already in contact with her, why not send an email asking about the number of people who have contacted her about OtToMH?

Well, I didn't specifically ask about THAT book. But in the email that I've just received, she asked me for the title. Well, I'll try.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Miranda wrote:Hello!

I've had two people ask me about the M. R. Administrator book. Three, including yourself. Strangely enough, they have all asked about it in the past 24 hours. I don't believe it has garnered this much interest since we obtained this copy.

In any case, its current location is Caliban Books at 410 S. Craig St. in Pittsburgh. I am glad I could help.

So, that makes me, jacktheriffer, and H. I guess we're safe for now.
But of course, the Cabal is totally free to go there, now that they can read the address here. Violation Of Common Sense is driving me mad.
Dryunya

Postby Enlil on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Unfortunately I'm out today for all the hours Caliban Books is open, but I'll grab it tomorrow.
Enlil
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Just in case: don't scan the code. ;)
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

We've decided in the chatroom that this will be our test case: Enlil will pick it up, and not scan any codes. If A's reaction shows that the piece remains unintegrated, we can continue repossessing the other pieces and holding onto them for safekeeping.
If he freaks out and the Wall piece is reintegrated by being removed from the STORE, I move we call off all further attempts to pick up Wall pieces until all the characters have been refic'ed.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Just note that if he flips in saying that the piece was reintegrated and we didn't scan the QR. I say we do it, I so want to know what it'll link to that I'd not trust myself to keep one of these trinkets. xD
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Just note that if he flips in saying that the piece was reintegrated and we didn't scan the QR. I say we do it, I so want to know what it'll link to that I'd not trust myself to keep one of these trinkets. xD

IF he says it was reintegrated anyway, I say fine. But otherwise nobody can even THINK of going NEAR those codes until all the refics are in. On pain of pain.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Enlil on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

So after A tweeted
SCANNING THE QR CODE WOULD ACCELERATE THE PROCESS, BUT REMOVING IT FROM OUR PROTECTIONS WOULD ALSO CAUSE REINTEGRATION.
I've decided to leave the piece where it is. I can get it at a moment's notice and I don't think there are any other tropers in Pittsburgh who are going to go rogue and grab it. It should be safe there.
Enlil
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about the plan, too. :(
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey, one piece an't hurt that much. I note hasty backtracking from A.
H22

PreviousNext

Return to Echoes