WALL EMERGENCY

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm not saying anything about the quality of the fic. It's just that Mr. A has elevated it to canon, and we have to fit it somewhere. :?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Well Dryu... They could have picked mine, it was set entirely in the void so that issue wouldn't come up... You know, the one fic where no one dies? xD
Of course, now that I can go back to it with fresh eyes and a calmer mind that's not "Oh crap! I'm NOT having Angel die!!!" I can see that my C!Fic would need some extensive editing to actually have a shot at competing for canon.

I don't like that Angel died. Of course, the only reason I even wrote a C!Fic of my own was to make sure Angel didn't die.
But Scarab's is amazing and deserves the spot in canon. So I'm not complaining. :)
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
User avatar
Pixelmage
 
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:28 pm

All this stuff can be explained by the extreme weakness of the barrier between reality and fiction, IMO. The characters are kind of acting on the edge of it. And the people in this world are, as well.

In my head, it exists on the same level historical fiction does, if not a little closer.
User avatar
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Victin on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:36 pm

In my opinion, the "real" people from Scarab refic are fictionals.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh holy freaking...

Vic!

Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
User avatar
Pixelmage
 
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Victin on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Oh holy freaking...

Vic!

Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?

Wait, no one noticed that? It came to me so easily I thought it wasn't important. Okay, if it's sounding like I'm show-off'ing, sorry, but that's the truth. But if it sounds like show-off'ing, sorry.

But that's a good idea Pixel.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:It's like the Mist in Percy Jackson. We see what others cannot. So on that they, when Adell and the Cabal were fighting Cthulhu, a non Metaguard would have seen the four of them jogging or something like that. If you were a Metaguard though, you would have seen a hideous green thing coming down from the sky and four people attacking it.


Or LARPers. You would have seen Morgan la Fey as a LARPer, pointing her foam weapon at the sky and shouting "PLUS ONE MANA BLAST".
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
User avatar
BlackWolfe
 
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Oh holy freaking...

Vic!

Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?


I killed three guardians and two other fictives. :( I felt guilty for a full day afterwards. Then I got over it.

Now, I feel guilty again.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
User avatar
BlackWolfe
 
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am

Pixelmage wrote:Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?

I sort of did. My idea was to partially use the tantrum plan, but I was writing it at the last 5 minutes, with expected quality. ;)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 am

BlackWolfe wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:Oh holy freaking...

Vic!

Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?


I killed three guardians and two other fictives. :( I felt guilty for a full day afterwards. Then I got over it.

Now, I feel guilty again.


...That facepalm of guilt, may I join you in it? :x
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 am

BlackWolfe wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:It's like the Mist in Percy Jackson. We see what others cannot. So on that they, when Adell and the Cabal were fighting Cthulhu, a non Metaguard would have seen the four of them jogging or something like that. If you were a Metaguard though, you would have seen a hideous green thing coming down from the sky and four people attacking it.


Or LARPers. You would have seen Morgan la Fey as a LARPer, pointing her foam weapon at the sky and shouting "PLUS ONE MANA BLAST".


Or Erik, Don Juan, Morgana and Adell all playing rubgy at once.
FIRE!
User avatar
The Wild West Pyro
 
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:19 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
BlackWolfe wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:It's like the Mist in Percy Jackson. We see what others cannot. So on that they, when Adell and the Cabal were fighting Cthulhu, a non Metaguard would have seen the four of them jogging or something like that. If you were a Metaguard though, you would have seen a hideous green thing coming down from the sky and four people attacking it.


Or LARPers. You would have seen Morgan la Fey as a LARPer, pointing her foam weapon at the sky and shouting "PLUS ONE MANA BLAST".


Or Erik, Don Juan, Morgana and Adell all playing rubgy at once.


...Or an extremely lethal form of dodgeball.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 am

Dryunya wrote:I sort of did. My idea was to partially use the tantrum plan, but I was writing it at the last 5 minutes, with expected quality. ;)


Eh, I managed to keep all of them alive... But to be honest... I could have made a better story if I was calm enough to analyse back then what I did now...

Basically: Lampshaded that Adell facing off with Cthulhu gave them time to get ready. Right off the bat, the Regulator goes in alone to TP abuse and send Cthulhu away. He fails. He then tries to remotely "Reset Button" nuke Cthulhu away. The button does not work and the Regulator no longer has his utterly broken haxx. They now face Cthulhu with an ultimate combo power. It manages to draw the thing's attention to them.

Next step, Psi flies in to save the day, and they decide to shove the squid back into the crack to fiction. They all do it, Psi loses his mask with Cthulhu breaking through some insane creations. Gurt loses the use of his hands for repeatedly punching the squid in the face, Angel get's ripped, but can still be repaired given time, the Regulator gains a Kill Sat thanks to an offscreen moment from both Angel and Psi, at the cost of no longer have the broken as hell Resethaxx, meaning he's now one character instead of an infinite Mind Screw. And Gnarbrydh becomes Puppy!Gnarbrydh due to shedding layers of it's construction structure to account for the damage caused by Cthulhu.

The big issue is that I apparently didn't made Cthulhu scary enough... Or consistent enough, but for all the fridge logic:
He's non-euclidean... Ok, but so is the Void. If you go that the void is infinite, and the universe is infinite, the void is as big as the universe, thus, the odds of 1 of the 5 being at the entry point of Cthulhu are infinitely small, though still possible. Even worse, if the void is infinite, it would take an infinite amount of time for Cthulhu to cross it, thus we could simply let him eating instantiations, he would not reach us anytime soon.

That it actually works means logic and time/space do not work as in our reality, that's why I say that flowing according to narrative rules makes that space as non-euclidean as Cthulhu himself, as such, his "wrongness" isn't as ripping as it would be in an euclidean plane. Which is why, short of the Regulator's sense of order and logic, everyone else is mostly unaffected by his reality wrapping aura. Gurt could get into a battle trance to flat out get on the squid's face, Gnarbrydh's "mind" isn't exactly a "mind" and like I said, he retracted into a small form, so whatever was actually touching Cthulhu was a non-organic buffer instead of his conscious core. Angel and Psi din't even touch him at all, playing more of a support role.

Considering all that, inside the Void, Cthulhu is just a big, mean Calamari that's detached enough from reality to be immune to reality wraping. If they had faced him in a fictional world, they would be instantly killed, but standing on Eldritch Ground? That cuts off the only thing Cthulhu actually does to screw everything in his canon, which is 'existing' against all natural laws.

I also decided that I wouldn't make them able to kill him, as that had me thinking: If we forgot the stories Cthulhu ate once outside their universe, if I killed him in the void, meaning outside his canon, would we be supposed to forget him as well? And assuming we wouldn't actually forget it, killing him was a no-no to me.

So, in the end, even if all I ranted about now makes sense, my story was poorly written. Rushed. And the best story wins, I still agree with Scarab's being canon. No amount of Fridge Logic can make up for a weak narrative. I decided to post the version I sent as well, if anyone is interested in taking a look. It would be too much teasing if I just talked about it and went "oh, no I can't show you... Sorry!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jN4 ... bVYok/edit
Last edited by Pixelmage on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
User avatar
Pixelmage
 
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am

Pixelmage wrote:Gnarbrydh becomes Puppy!Gnarbrydh


Pixelmage wrote:Puppy!Gnarbrydh


Pixelmage wrote:Puppy!


...Why do you not yet have all my glomps?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
User avatar
Qara-Xuan Zenith
 
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Pixelmage wrote:no longer have the broken as hell Resethaxx, meaning he's now one character instead of an infinite Mind Screw

Word Of God Mind Screwdriver (with a bonsus Mind Screw of its own! :gurt: ): The Regulator isn't infinite, there were at most two of them. The first is the one who is actually a character in his story, and the other is the one who is spawned behind the wall by that very story. And they occasionally switch places after one mind-wipes the other to his initial state. Or something like that. As I said, I had a clearer idea about that until I went to sleep. :?

Pixelmage wrote:I also decided that I wouldn't make them able to kill him, as that had me thinking: If we forgot the stories Cthulhu ate once outside their universe, if I killed him in the void, meaning outside his canon, would we be supposed to forget him as well? And assuming we wouldn't actually forget it, killing him was a no-no to me.

Same here. Now that I think about it, it was pretty stupid of me, because while I knew killing him is a no-no, the characters tried to kill him with a freaking huge-ass (200 grams, but trust me, that's a lot) bomb - he only survived so that I could do that rushed meta-twist that actually sent him back. Since they thought No One Could Survive That, their attempts to kill him kind of stop making sense now.

Pixelmage wrote:So, in the end, even if all I ranted about now makes sense, my story was poorly written. Rushed. And the best story wins, I still agree with Scarab's being canon. No amount of Fridge Logic can make up for a weak narrative.

Yup. The same as with mine. (Except I'm not posting it. It is seriously not worth it.)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby BlackWolfe on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Scarab wrote:...That facepalm of guilt, may I join you in it? :x


We are terrible, terrible people. :(

/)_<

Also, adding to my relief at my fic not having been picked, I realized yesterday that the central theme of it was You Can't Fight Fate (invoked twice), which was a terrible theme for the situation.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
User avatar
BlackWolfe
 
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 am

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 am

Dryunya wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:no longer have the broken as hell Resethaxx, meaning he's now one character instead of an infinite Mind Screw

Word Of God Mind Screwdriver (with a bonsus Mind Screw of its own! :gurt: ): The Regulator isn't infinite, there were at most two of them. The first is the one who is actually a character in his story, and the other is the one who is spawned behind the wall by that very story. And they occasionally switch places after one mind-wipes the other to his initial state. Or something like that. As I said, I had a clearer idea about that until I went to sleep. :?


Dammit, the whole double Regulator thing was gonna be a plot point in my fic, and now you've gone and proven my theories non-canon. HATERAGEno not really. :P

Pixelmage wrote:Oh holy freaking...

Vic!

Explore that idea... We could have simply let Cthulhu through! And with the narrative made him exit the wall through the cracks... Into a fictional copy of earth! No collateral damage to our characters, and the copy!earth he would land on would be no different than the one in his original canon. Yeah, he'd wreak havoc and kill them all, but he's already implied to do that when he wakes up on the original world, so no difference there.

Did ANYONE write that? Like, at all?


And off an entire world just to save another? Dude, not cool. We'd have the same amount of casualties there as we would here, except this time it'd be OUR FAULT. Not cool. Better we lose one to five guys than billions.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
User avatar
Endless Sea
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby averagejoe on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:43 am

Hey so Edward's family is having a tree lighting thing followed by midnight mass (Christmas Eve), and my family's doing the whole presents plus seeing the whole family and my cousins' drooling infants thing tomorrow (on Christmas), so basically...

Whatever, it’s Christmas and the world isn’t destroyed. We're going to celebrate with our families. See you all on the 26th - we should have something cool to show you by then!
User avatar
averagejoe
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Adell on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:45 am

averagejoe wrote:Hey so Edward's family is having a tree lighting thing followed by midnight mass (Christmas Eve), and my family's doing the whole presents plus seeing the whole family and my cousins' drooling infants thing tomorrow (on Christmas), so basically...

Whatever, it’s Christmas and the world isn’t destroyed. We're going to celebrate with our families. See you all on the 26th - we should have something cool to show you by then!


You guys BETTER celebrate! We didn't bust our asses to NOT enjoy some Christmas vacation :D
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
User avatar
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 am

Adell wrote:
averagejoe wrote:Hey so Edward's family is having a tree lighting thing followed by midnight mass (Christmas Eve), and my family's doing the whole presents plus seeing the whole family and my cousins' drooling infants thing tomorrow (on Christmas), so basically...

Whatever, it’s Christmas and the world isn’t destroyed. We're going to celebrate with our families. See you all on the 26th - we should have something cool to show you by then!


You guys BETTER celebrate! We didn't bust our asses to NOT enjoy some Christmas vacation :D


We need to celebrate somewhere..AHA!

THE COFFEE ROOM V2!
FIRE!
User avatar
The Wild West Pyro
 
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
Adell wrote:
averagejoe wrote:Hey so Edward's family is having a tree lighting thing followed by midnight mass (Christmas Eve), and my family's doing the whole presents plus seeing the whole family and my cousins' drooling infants thing tomorrow (on Christmas), so basically...

Whatever, it’s Christmas and the world isn’t destroyed. We're going to celebrate with our families. See you all on the 26th - we should have something cool to show you by then!


You guys BETTER celebrate! We didn't bust our asses to NOT enjoy some Christmas vacation :D


We need to celebrate somewhere..AHA!

THE COFFEE ROOM V2!


I don't think this is the right forum for this. Also, let the damn thing die, 'kay? It had its run, and it's not coming back. Not everyone likes the place anyways.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
User avatar
Endless Sea
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:45 am

Hmmm mm...

The Metaguard HQ.
FIRE!
User avatar
The Wild West Pyro
 
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby S_o_S on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:24 am

averagejoe wrote:Hey so Edward's family is having a tree lighting thing followed by midnight mass (Christmas Eve), and my family's doing the whole presents plus seeing the whole family and my cousins' drooling infants thing tomorrow (on Christmas), so basically...

Whatever, it’s Christmas and the world isn’t destroyed. We're going to celebrate with our families. See you all on the 26th - we should have something cool to show you by then!


Merry Christmas Joe. Sounds like I might not be around for it all on Boxing Day (quelle surprise), so I wish you all the best of luck. Get to the bottom of this for me.
Not a distress call. Honest.
User avatar
S_o_S
 
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:36 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:Hmmm mm...

The Metaguard HQ.


...?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
User avatar
Endless Sea
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron