"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Discussion of Gulliver's letters

Postby Adell on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:13 am

Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:what gives his blog is totally dead
did he finally give up

i kind of miss making fun of him

Yeah you missed him. Sorry. Get off the internet before you mom yells at us again. :lol:
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Not Your Sayu-chan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 am

you are rude maybe my mom SHOULD yell at you
Not Your Sayu-chan

Postby Blurred_9L on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 am

Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:you are rude maybe my mom SHOULD yell at you

Yes, I would like to hear what she has to say :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Adell on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 am

Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:you are rude maybe my mom SHOULD yell at you

I'm sorry, I was just joking. Please don't have her yell at me o.o;

But...uh, this is off topic. So stop.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 am

Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:what gives his blog is totally dead
did he finally give up

i kind of miss making fun of him

To answer your question, he went home, someplace without internet connection. And he won't be returning, ever.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

Hi Sayu!

Yeah, I think Gulliver went back home. I figured you'd be happy to see the last of him, though some of us REALLY miss him.

But guess what? His friend John (I think you met him too?) is still around-- you can check out his twitter if you like. (I think it's linked on Gulliver's blog? If you can't find it, just say the word and I'll link you. I'm pretty sure I've got the link lying around somewhere.)

So that. Also, if you're interested in poking around our forums some more, there's lots of awesome stuff you can do to help. Most of our energy right now is being put to writing "refictionalizations"-- stories about some of these people in their original settings. Based on your comments on Gulliver's blog and on the forums, I have a feeling you'd be super-good at writing them!
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:40 am

What they said.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am

I see what you did there, Qara. ;)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 am

By the way, Sayu, apparently someone drew a picture of you here: http://xovr.twwf.info/i_arrhgaug.php (password Gurt). It's rather a flattering depiction.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Not Your Sayu-chan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 pm

i found a weird bottle on the beach yesterday. it had a letter for that guy with the stupid blog! i thought you said he left? why do we have to put up with his litter? i threw it back in the ocean.
Not Your Sayu-chan

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:i found a weird bottle on the beach yesterday. it had a letter for that guy with the stupid blog! i thought you said he left? why do we have to put up with his litter? i threw it back in the ocean.
:shock: :x Excuse my rudeness, but...
YOU FOOL! THE MAN WHO YOU CONSTANTLY BERATED HAS BEEN, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, SENT TO ANOTHER WORLD! YOU COULD HAVE AT LEAST COPIED IT, UPLOADED IT HERE, AND GONE ABOUT YOUR MERRY WAY TO GO CRUSH THE HOPES AND DREAMS OF SOMEONE ELSE! BUT NOOOOO! YOU HAD TO THROW IT BACK INTO THE GOUDA-FORSAKEN OCEAN! ‹exhale› I apologize again for my outburst, but I would like to see how this story ends, and you just metaphorically ripped out the denouement! It's somewhat irritating, to say the least.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 am

Hey, Genndy, Rule 3. Nobody's business if Sayu doesn't like Gulliver; she's being nice even telling us about this.

Sayu, is there any chance you remember what the letter said? Because a lot of us would LOVE to see it.
Failing that, well, if the bottle, or another like it, turns up again, we'd REALLY appreciate it if you could copy the letter out for us here before doing whatever with it. I know you don't owe us anything, though.

And I mean, throwing it back into the ocean was probably the responsible thing to do since, after all, the letter wasn't for you or anyone you could actually get it to.

But thanks. ^_^
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:43 am

Calm down, Genndy. I'm pretty sure the message is from the refic story that I wrote. Here's the description of the letter that appears in the story:

It was addressed to someone with a strange name, who seemed to be a good friend of
my neighbor’s, but who hadn’t seen him for some years. It described his life over the course of
the previous year, and referred to other, preceding letters, for information going further back.

It ended with, “I wish I could hear of your children. By now they must be accomplished and
respected. I should hope they’ve surpassed their father by now. I can’t say he gave them much
of a standard to hold up. Still, at least one of us has a family to carry on his legacy, eh? There
are times I regret not finding a wife, but then the sea calls to me and I remember that I’m a man
who answers to no one but his own ambitions. Of course, I say ambitions where you might say
greed, but that’s a matter for another discussion. I end this letter, as I end all of these, by saying
you were the best friend a man could hope to find, and I don’t regret a thing about the time we
spent together. Your faithful friend,
Long John Silver”

I wrote the story with the intention that LJS would be able to contact Gulliver, sending him a final message, since Mr. A said it would be possible for a message to permeate one story and enter another. This was how I tried to make it up to LJS that we ripped Gulliver from him. So he sends out lots of messages in bottles. It's possible that the one Sayu found is not the one I described in the story, but they all probably have similar elements. If you want to know exactly what was written in the entire letter, I'm sorry, but I declare Death of the Author on this one.

Personally, I'm thrilled to hear that a message made it here. It means that at least one of them did manage to exit Silver's story, which means there's a good chance that at least one of them made it to Gulliver's story.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:
Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:i found a weird bottle on the beach yesterday. it had a letter for that guy with the stupid blog! i thought you said he left? why do we have to put up with his litter? i threw it back in the ocean.
:shock: :x Excuse my rudeness, but...
YOU FOOL! THE MAN WHO YOU CONSTANTLY BERATED HAS BEEN, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, SENT TO ANOTHER WORLD! YOU COULD HAVE AT LEAST COPIED IT, UPLOADED IT HERE, AND GONE ABOUT YOUR MERRY WAY TO GO CRUSH THE HOPES AND DREAMS OF SOMEONE ELSE! BUT NOOOOO! YOU HAD TO THROW IT BACK INTO THE GOUDA-FORSAKEN OCEAN! ‹exhale› I apologize again for my outburst, but I would like to see how this story ends, and you just metaphorically ripped out the denouement! It's somewhat irritating, to say the least.

Meta: The letter doesn't matter if Sayu threw it back, she being a....

(Unmeta) THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TELLING US. Seriously, the LETTER ITSELF is the denouement.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Previous

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver