The Fate of the Cabal

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

The Fate of the Cabal

Postby Adell on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey everyone, I’ve finally wrapped up everything I was doing the past two days; it hasn’t exactly been easy or comforting. Yesterday I received a call from the hospital about what happened to the remaining members of the Cabal; the last of them passed away that morning… I’ll admit, while it was not necessarily surprising given what had happened to them during the confrontation, it still shook me up considerably. With that in mind, I finally decided to take a look at the letters that had been given to me and did my best to fulfill any requests on them, which is what I was doing yesterday. I’ll copy them and post them here for you guys to see.

Morgan wrote:“If you are reading this letter, then I am surely dead. If all is well in the world, then I have but a few requests.

I would like my bones to lie in what is known as Glastonbury, Wales. I do not require a large funereal service, nor do I wish for one. I do not even require a stone. A resting place under an apple tree is all I ask. There should be money contained within this envelope, unless it has been stolen away. I have done the math and this should be enough for expenses.

Please send an email to my employers, [REDACTED], to let them know that I will not be able to continue my work with them. I have an apartment in Los Angeles - please call my landlord, [REDACTED], and let know that I will be breaking my lease. And please, if you are not affiliated with watchthefootage.com, then please go to the forum there and deliver this message from me:

I have appreciated your correspondance, and the opportunity to better get to know this world and its many inhabitants. I knew what I was fighting for, and I thank you for the opportunity to fight rather than to be sent back.

Morgan”

Melissa wrote:“My loving husband,

Exchanging letters was a wonderful idea! I haven’t sat down to handwrite a letter in...gosh, it must be years. What memories.

In any case, I want to let you know that I understand that this “business trip” is not what you say it will be. I can see that it will be dangerous. I could tell by the way your eyes looked for the last few days. It was as though your hope for a bright future together had been extinguished.

I have not lost hope. Whatever it is, I know in my heart that you will prevail and that you will come back to me. I have faith in you, my love. I will worry, as you know I do, but I do not doubt your abilities for even a second.

I love you, Juan.

Melissa”

Morgan and Juan’s were pretty straight forward…but Erik’s came with a usb and a rather long letter:

Erik wrote:“I had intended to release the contents of this letter to you some time ago, at the height of Moriarty’s immoral connivings, when his actions threatened to undo the best of what we had fought to achieve. Releasing them would have been my attempt to undermine him.

Some of these chats are quite old, and some even predate Morgan’s renunciation of extreme measures. She comes off in the chats as more... militant than you are used to. This is not a revelation of her true character; rather, it is an outdated portrait of a woman terrified of being separated from a man she was not yet disillusioned about. The earliest chats included here occurred prior to any email correspondence occurred with you.

I like to think that I helped change her mind about you. Perhaps it was my letter, and the fallout therefrom, which began to open her eyes.

Despite the way she comes across, she agreed to releasing these in spite of their content as a final gesture of goodwill (as if standing in Cthulhu’s way will not be enough).

In my original plan, each piece of this puzzle was to be seeded, sent to different recipients, so you might piece it together like my previous message. It was my hope that you could collaborate to complete it, while Moriarty, being one person, might not be able to track all the pieces down.

Morgan discovered my plans, and informed me that I was being foolish. Moriarty had been able to complete my last puzzle, despite my attempts to make it difficult for one person. She told me that you were already working hard enough to save the world, and did not need our chat logs. They would be a distraction.

However, she agreed that there was no reason not to include them in my farewell, as I bid you adieu. I considered simply releasing the chat ID’s directly, but we both agreed that you seemed to enjoy fitting together the pieces of puzzles like this... and so, as a last thank-you for all that you have done, I have made it no easier to complete.

Perhaps I will survive the battle, and I will release them myself after all... and feel the fool as I pull this note from my pocket, re-reading its portents of doom. Perhaps not.

As I bow before the curtain, I quote my favorite student: Think of me, think of me fondly, as we say goodbye.

-Erik”

The USB had some images and files related to his letter which I’ll provide in the post. So it looks like Erik left us one last puzzle, if you guys are interested in solving it. From the sound of it, it’s the last remaining chats on their pheeble site I’m guessing. It might be interesting to find them, maybe it’ll help clear some things up, and seeing as the world is saved we’re not under any sort of time constraint this time around, we can solve it at our leisure.

…I was spending most of today and yesterday setting up for a funeral for them, as well as setting everything up that Morgan desired in her letter. I figured it was the least I could do for the three of them; they saved my life after all.

Anyway, sorry I was afk for so long. Here are the things that were on the USB.
Attachments
p.jpg
p.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
h.jpg
h.jpg (135.91 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
g.jpg
g.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Fold.jpg
Fold.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Re: The Fate of the Cabal

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Pixie got the following link from the image: http://pheeble.twwf.info/hidden.pdf
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Blurred_9L on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:01 pm

So, when you put the grille on the text, you get a message. We're not really sure which one is the correct one, but we're deciding between these 2:

First image:
"t the ote, a He's name The worst is not Do emember. I need t must not ator for an ep # bout the key orities n su"

or

Second image: (Full image on paint, sorry about that xD)
"the ehv He's named he worst is not Don member I need to ust not le or for an ep # put the key o ities me su"

Though I'm not sure where would this take us... any ideas?

Eli suggested just to reflect it horizontally, which yielded this:

"have a ch but I remem must not ator for an ep # e wrong hand! Ques e key of mercy sh must utho t ore go to the"

One last try, shifting the image to the right to the starting point of the text:

"th Don Q declaring that releasing their ive Yo This information rified! It must not fal They must g er au ore"
Last edited by Blurred_9L on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm

The assembled image from the url... Well, we already got the url out, but for completion's sake...
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:54 pm

In case it means something, I separated the different fonts from the text of the pdf.

I am inserting **asterisks** where the text from the other font would be

Sans-Serif:

This is failure: xmczl gmhtxtt lli Xesym vdq frbm gu kspnl omx xj rvu ssfpnzra. Jk aokp fewr
wocdgfr ew hlp wjt eorv sf ysegw rle rlnefkipe. Hhwpvs kii olfqf kkm evyl hy tg bzrslivn, eeb
J wqakvyavtzzn lkrwi. Xcslei W fmfdgbgkw vttromw exxj go ab ntjr, qg ctg dypy tigvyjc pt wfx
tmvgkqh xy ahagl D iogthhb, t jrwee pvxnl mshi hi r assdrnic ws kowa. Elik asmpu fbg ffteemq
sx.
Apjfe A gei gyyouh gy Z qbne bb isms hpexi, fp nobzx Z aia ihbitruw xs xlrlhs ll fp mzvmbbpw
aojph, rmkf bb dsmymz jnh rdpw ngx yni dc twpnep ya nt hdezwifk jjvtc, ciw yvblwjrxrvpw mq
lyheegum dlw dw lrybftd.
Mt aw qt lfnf hkym dw wyj yfxprdk amgp emu uhr myga sgk. W rlrngx vdwb zfwqe bucvgoywto.
Xhwc egvvyem wfbei Q ugos qpxrsciy xycn. W gm gfr buogy iset A leqi.
Z qfsgcw kfqf ogtdcqalmsi me kvzwgicc xygvsh sspark olrr uvhw, uvgvt zaftp tegtpz, grlocw
khegbbx tza eleki wjyiafg, esm pmc, okbbv l qudxmoyuc, doq. Gm zq iyxxosj xrmi xcek risb bh
emb ugos isi taqi os icbr wfkfsou gez dq comv jjvlk qcvrl. Pmc ugos hevefkxc me lvaeckj.
Zcg ymwaw, M csrrjx igty wftk rpvy fshdegw amgp icbqk ravk, ab O aokp

dvfwfxi jilkkg
dq grqts

Nf. Dbfzlqfzkoizv hsw vzgvgwsg y lkpiamx

ar ldw vkbwo. Fx ngty vkcqlflq gsigcses lr bj y
pbgq oco rol tymwlc jhv ggmcagozoitsn. Swo cmd dpf lr. Bw fm cxhjxois ax, cjy ngmz ec tsjm gu
ywco qoji. Yni rl

fzll.
V jh bde fedmiqi kfbh pw if

q

gohb pyh ygyvn eic jr

lmzaiy, hnh cpmtziv vvv risb zbeyzl
uidddmtww.

su jvqn.

Serif:

imtihyiu

oior.

wblke

pdhl

q

g

h

Kj

Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 am

Oh my yes it's not over yet. I'll happily get cracking on that cypher, but I expect to be beaten to solving it.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am

May Erik, Don Juan and Morgana rest in peace.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:53 am

Okay, I'm going through this cryptogram and I think it uses multiple keys. I suspect the serif font indicates when there is a key change, but that's just a guess at this time. Running this a sentence or two at a time through a cryptogram cracker got me a possible "egvvyem" = "connect"...
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
BlackWolfe

Postby SuperKing93 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 am

If it's based on a key then there's quite a number of key changes. Whenever I try to crack codes I always look for a common three-letter word that corresponds to "the" but as far as I know no three-letter word appears more than once in this pdf...
SuperKing93

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:13 am

Took a crack at "fold.jpg". By folding it at the dots, got the following almost-meaningful message:

Top Half: Take the Cardan Grille and qshift it to the right.
Bottom Half: eeds a

If I fold it the other way, we get:
Top Half: in your hand,d get out your It's time for barbeue night
Bottom half: If the end n fix, divide by six.

????
BlackWolfe

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 am

Has anyone tried filtering the PDF itself through that cutout card?
BlackWolfe

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 am

Forget that. Flipped vertically, got this message:

It is I, Don Juan, and I am hereby betraying the Cabal And releasing sensitive information................

BlackWolfe

Postby S_o_S on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

BlackWolfe wrote:Forget that. Flipped vertically, got this message:

It is I, Don Juan, and I am hereby betraying the Cabal And releasing sensitive information................

:gurt: :gurt: :gurt: for BW. The question now becomes: What is the information? I'm assuming it's in that tangled mess of a .pdf file.

Also, for fuck's sake, have we gone back to everything good happening while I'm in bed?
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 am

Pixelmage wrote:The assembled image from the url... Well, we already got the url out, but for completion's sake...

I took a good look at the image. I recognize the image of the man in the top hat.

It's the original cover of the first edition of The Phantom of the Opera.

I suspect the other images may all have to do with The Phantom of the Opera as well.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:18 am

In the letter too, I recognized one word:

Erik.

Also, some bits of the words have a different font.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 am

phantom_of_the_opera_cover.jpeg
phantom_of_the_opera_cover.jpeg (45.36 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 am

Screen shot 2012-12-28 at 9.25.12 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-12-28 at 9.25.12 PM.png (8.44 KiB) Viewed 2607 times

Erik?

Screen shot 2012-12-28 at 9.25.36 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-12-28 at 9.25.36 PM.png (99.22 KiB) Viewed 2607 times

Notice that some words have a different, more serif or Times New Roman like font than the Arial used.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 am

BlackWolfe wrote:Forget that. Flipped vertically, got this message:

:gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: BW you're awesome.

Also, this is the only one we didn't try if I remember correctly >.< Sorry guys.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:The assembled image from the url... Well, we already got the url out, but for completion's sake...

I took a good look at the image. I recognize the image of the man in the top hat.

I suspect the other images may all have to do with The Phantom of the Opera as well.

Lower right is the movie poster for the film Don Juan starring John Barrymore, the first film to feature a full-length synchronized soundtrack (sound effects and music, but not a talkie):

Upper right is an illustration of Professor Moriarty by Sidney Paget:
BlackWolfe

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:

Well just for the sake of completion, this one is a Moriarty image:

Blurred_9L

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:Well just for the sake of completion, this one is a Moriarty image:

Yeah, I was editing my post while you posted that. :P

Still haven't found the source for the bottom left, but it HAS to be Morgan le Fay.
BlackWolfe

Postby SuperKing93 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm

BlackWolfe wrote:
Blurred_9L wrote:Well just for the sake of completion, this one is a Moriarty image:

Yeah, I was editing my post while you posted that. :P

Still haven't found the source for the bottom left, but it HAS to be Morgan le Fay.

Yep, it is!

EDIT: Updated w/ larger image
SuperKing93

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Guys! Blur has dug this tweet for us: https://twitter.com/AVeryMadCat/status/ ... 6957108225
tdnfhakaaaahfybwsmnbhjvi /3

Now consider: If the end needs a fix, divide by six.
We're most likely looking for 6 pheeble chat keys in that pdf. ^^
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby H22 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Kjsu jvqn. Presumably is a signature from the writer. Working assumption: 'from Juan'.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby SuperKing93 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 pm

H22 wrote:Kjsu jvqn. Presumably is a signature from the writer. Working assumption: 'from Juan'.

Wouldn't "jvqn" be capitalized if it's supposed to mean Juan?
SuperKing93

Next

Return to General Discussion