Names

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Names

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 am

Okay, this is a random, probably 2-am-fuelled question, but it's something I've idly wondered about before.
Was this supposed to be named The Wall Will Fall? Because my brain can come up with a number of reasons why it's completely insane to expect that it was, and a number of reasons why it would be perfectly reasonable... and since it's 2 am, I don't want to list any of these reasons because they'll probably all come out sounding COMPLETELY INSANE. And if not, what were you guys calling it, until we hijacked it with the name The Wall Will Fall?

And speaking of names, 'Metaguards' was something else that people just kind of suggested and everyone ran with it... This is a question somehow. Had you had different ideas for what we should be called? Should I stop asking questions when I'm clearly sleep-deprived?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Names

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:26 am

There was indeed another name that we used to refer to the ARG, back before you guys named it. I'm not 100% sure it's something I can reveal, but I think we generally agree that the name you came up with is better. That's why we've been using it and will continue to do so.

I don't think it ever even occurred to us to name your group. That was all you. =) But it seems like the name unified you and gave you a sense of identity, and more of a sense of purpose. It's not something we gave much thought to at the time, but I think the name definitely contributed to the tightly-knit community that came out of this.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:27 am

We didn't really have a set in stone name, but we were going with Crossover often, or X/OVR for short.

And we never really talked about naming you =P We mostly referred to you as "Players"
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 am

Connor Fallon wrote:We didn't really have a set in stone name, but we were going with Crossover often, or X/OVR for short.

I honestly had not considered xovr being short for crossover until now. :shock:
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:37 am

Actually, I'm pretty sure X/ARG ("Crossover ARG") was whatever came closest to a set-in-stone name. Guess what inspired the xovr domain.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:51 am

narrativedilettante wrote:
Connor Fallon wrote:We didn't really have a set in stone name, but we were going with Crossover often, or X/OVR for short.

I honestly had not considered xovr being short for crossover until now. :shock:

Heh, I thought of the site as "crossover.net" whenever I saw it referenced.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 am

Given how much it started taking over our lives, we actually didn't use any name for it. When one PM said "the ARG" to another, none of us exactly thought of Ingress first.

Also, it's actually ARG tradition to have a short and sweet development name. You need something easy to say as you're planning, and something that wouldn't immediately trigger alarms if a stray doc accidentally got released.

Personally, given that we were busy running it, I was fine with you guys naming it what you did. As for the group nickname, you can't really force a community into a nickname. I knew you'd pick what you like.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 am

Val Reznitskaya wrote:There was indeed another name that we used to refer to the ARG, back before you guys named it. I'm not 100% sure it's something I can reveal, but I think we generally agree that the name you came up with is better. That's why we've been using it and will continue to do so.

I don't think it ever even occurred to us to name your group. That was all you. =) But it seems like the name unified you and gave you a sense of identity, and more of a sense of purpose. It's not something we gave much thought to at the time, but I think the name definitely contributed to the tightly-knit community that came out of this.

Wait... I remember one of us commenting that on a thread a long time ago.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby H22 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am

Dryunya and Crossovers?
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:40 pm

The Wall Will Fall is clearly the best name for the ARG.

We were worried someone would name it after the first thing encountered in the game, like Average Joe ARG or Sparkly Guy In Park. Happily, that did not happen.

We wouldn't have really minded Watch the Footage as a name. WTFARG is pretty funny. As is, some people referred to this as WTFTWWF, which is really the best acronym.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Tom wrote:The Wall Will Fall is clearly the best name for the ARG.

We were worried someone would name it after the first thing encountered in the game, like Average Joe ARG or Sparkly Guy In Park. Happily, that did not happen.

We wouldn't have really minded Watch the Footage as a name. WTFARG is pretty funny. As is, some people referred to this as WTFTWWF, which is really the best acronym.

WTFARG is really kind of hilarious when you think about it too much. Especially considering all the times we stoppedto go 'ARRRGH!'
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Scarab wrote:
Tom wrote:The Wall Will Fall is clearly the best name for the ARG.

WTFARG is really kind of hilarious when you think about it too much. Especially considering all the times we stoppedto go 'ARRRGH!'

Only problem is, this exact sentence could be said by players of pretty much every single ARG ever. :lol:
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Rick Healey wrote:Only problem is, this exact sentence could be said by players of pretty much every single ARG ever. :lol:

And not just the players.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:
Rick Healey wrote:Only problem is, this exact sentence could be said by players of pretty much every single ARG ever. :lol:

And not just the players.

I told a friend of mine about the trouble we were having getting people with smartphones out to where echoes were, and how much you guys must have been going "Oh, come on, guys, really? It's 2012! Buy a real phone!" and she said "That's why they call it an ARGH."
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Connor Fallon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:28 pm

I actually got really, really worried when people originally were referring to the game as the Echo Chamber ARG. The game exists in the same universe (and only because Mr. A is cool), but wasn't really meant to be an advertising campaign or promotion for it. The characters other that Mr. Administrator had no role to play, and calling it an Echo Chamber ARG would only make people think that it was only for fans of Echo Chamber.

Luckily, that passed. I still think we probably should have had someone other than Mark send out that original letter.

Oh, Alex Moser would not stop referring to it as the Alex Moser ARG.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am

Since we've mentioned it, what was the reason for giving those instantiations those spoiler names? Yes, I mean THE WALL WILL FALL. Mr. A said it was a coincidence ("THE WALL TED FALL" made the AMA for me :lol: ), but I'm sure you can provide a better explanation, unless it's a season 3 spoiler.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:19 pm

I could weave you a story about tropes infiltrating the Void as the story becomes too thick for Mr. A to control. Or I could stick to the "coincidence" line. Or I could leave this one to your judgment.

But instead, I am going to say it was wizards, because that is more fun.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Return to General