URL pieces

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

URL pieces

Postby Adell on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Since most of us that signed up for Mr.A's "spam" have received them by now, I figure I might as well post up our current efforts to try and piece together the URL pages that were sent in it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TheWall/Shards This page has all of the pieces separated already, if you want to try and put it together yourself and figure it out.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 ... ild4-1.jpg

This is my current mock up of what I think the url is, letters in red are ones I'm just guessing on and am not sure, ones in black have enough evidence for me to be pretty positive as to what letter they are. I'm gonna need help with this, as it's been really hard figuring it out, and I could very well be wrong.

While on the subject, Joe was holding some of the spam we received. Did he happen to get a url slip as well?
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Re: URL pieces

Postby EdwardTheAwesome on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:11 pm

You know...I think he might have...

He's obviously pretty stressed right now, but I'll ask him about it when I get the chance.
EdwardTheAwesome
Site Admin

Postby Adell on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Please do, I appreciate it. In the meantime I'll just keep trying to decipher it with what I got.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Probably an optimistic thought, but it could be that Mr. A sent Joe the key piece of the puzzle. He IS the first one who found this, after all. That also explains why the thing is so damn hard.

EDIT:
Joe might have gotten a URL slip. This might be what we're missing to complete the damn thing.

WHOA! Cross site ninja'd. You are GOOD Adell. O.o
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Probably an optimistic thought, but it could be that Mr. A sent Joe the key piece of the puzzle. He IS the first one who found this, after all. That also explains why the thing is so damn hard.

EDIT:
Joe might have gotten a URL slip. This might be what we're missing to complete the damn thing.

WHOA! Cross site ninja'd. You are GOOD Adell. O.o

Haha, only when it doesn't really matter! But here's hoping it's what we need.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:49 am

Attachments
Combined9-28.jpg
Combined9-28.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
YankeeWhite

Postby Lordxana0 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:06 am

By George I think we got it.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:07 am

Nice!

Blog looks unrelated at first glance, just like Poirot. Looks to the the blog of a psychiatrist. It is dubious with the current information whether the writer is a POI, (They seem quite up to date with technology and such, though they could just be from a modern story) but (s)he mentions several strange patients, so there might still be a clue.

Also, as with Poirot, the posting has only just started, which is very suspicious.

EDIT: Test subjects, huh? I'm not sure I like the sound of that, especially coming from a possibly fictional psychiatrist. They have a tendency to turn out rather... evil.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:13 am

As I said at the ARG thread, she actually makes a nice impression. I believe we'll have a glimpse of her patients, some of which turn out to be misunderstood fictional characters. I don't think you should let her see the big picture yet, otherwise we'll just all become her patients. :D

But that's for another thread. I'd like to stay on topic and ask: why the hell did Mr. A split the URL!? It did make sense when I assumed we were going to get more comic book shards, because that would allow us to get more information from the filenames, but it just doesn't make sense the way it is. When I asked him on Twitter a while back, he ignored the question.

Aaaaand: the packages were sent on September, 24th. Maybe 25th, just to be sure. The first post that hints at some important things to come was posted on 27th! How did he know!?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Adell on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:53 am

Minds and Matters was right???? Oh man, I feel so awesome right now, Haha! Nice work on clearing the image up Yankeewhite!
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am

Jesus christ...how many pieces were involved, in the end?
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Replica on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 am

We never actually completed the URL, just had enough to guess.
Replica

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Chief Wakamakamu wrote:Jesus christ...how many pieces were involved, in the end?

I think I used 8 or 9 shards. And IIRC there were 10 or 11 unique shards total.
YankeeWhite

Postby Adell on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Yeah there were like 2 or 3 that never actually fit into the URL. They could have been duds/fakes, but maybe they're for something else.

I say it's still worth seeing if Joe got one. Maybe his can combine with the ones we didn't use.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby cptsqweky on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Wow... I just barely get my package today (I accidentally gave the wrong zip code... stupid me) and it turns out no one needs my piece of the puzzle anymore. :(

Back to lurking, I guess.
cptsqweky

Postby Lordxana0 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:45 pm

cptsqweky wrote:Wow... I just barely get my package today (I accidentally gave the wrong zip code... stupid me) and it turns out no one needs my piece of the puzzle anymore. :(

Dude post it, we have gotten a few pieces that don't match up with the others, it is worth a shot.
Lordxana0

Postby Adell on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:
cptsqweky wrote:Wow... I just barely get my package today (I accidentally gave the wrong zip code... stupid me) and it turns out no one needs my piece of the puzzle anymore. :(

Dude post it, we have gotten a few pieces that don't match up with the others, it is worth a shot.

This exactly, it's also why I'm hoping Joe might have received a slip as well.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Lordxana0 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Adell wrote:
Lordxana0 wrote:

This exactly, it's also why I'm hoping Joe might have received a slip as well.

Didn't know if you were still up to tell him that man, my bad, yeah send your url to this guy, he is like the ninja of url putting together.
Lordxana0

Postby cptsqweky on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:19 pm

All right, well here's my piece.
I hope it's not too dark, I had to take a picture since my scanner kept automatically cropping off small parts for some reason.

Or is there somewhere else I should post it?
cptsqweky

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Nah, that looks pretty good, and there should be no problems with finding it here. I doubt there is actually more to this puzzle, and the fragments that don't fit are probably too vague to properly place or that way because of how the shot was taken, but it can't hurt to double check just in case.

Also, is it possible that they do not fit because they were taken upside-down?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Possibly, still I'll keep an eye on them just in case.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby cptsqweky on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:29 pm

I dunno, I was looking around and it seems that my section isn't unique. Looking at the tvtropes page for the shards and whatnot, it seems that my piece is identical to the one submitted by Spiritf Chaos.
cptsqweky

Postby Adell on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 pm

I recognize your piece, it is indeed a duplicate. Still, it was better we saw it and 100% confirmed then left as an open thread
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 pm

So it is. Exact correlation. Good catch.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby averagejoe on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 am

Hi guys, Edward pointed me to this thread. My piece is a dupe of that one, too. I think you got the URL anyway, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.
averagejoe
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion